Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was messing around this weekend and wore my mountain man outfit to watch football at my parents. After I decided to hit my trade site in costume before the sun went down
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604278021.061401.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604278040.893536.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604278063.347187.jpg
Came up with my 5th trade metal point! It oddly came full circle winding up back in the pouch of a mountain man where it probably came from when it was traded to the Indians haha
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604278213.464977.jpg

Unfortunately I dinged it pretty hard with my shovel I assume, bent up the top and knocked the rust off. I try to dig about 6in back from where I think it is to avoid that so I’m not sure what happened

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posed a question up in the na forum but maybe it’s better here, 4 points are flat like they were cut from a sheet, one has thickness like a knife or a thin stone point.. second from the bottom in my pic... could this one be hand forged vs sheet cut? Or just different style point?

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it was probably made by hand ,they just used a thicker piece of metal from some other broken tool such as maybe a broke knife ,they recycled all kinds of broken material & re shaped it & re used it for something else ,you see that a lot on arrowheads ,regrinding & reshaping....and definitely in the trade material....cut sheet brass is usually always thin, unless it's the thicker parts (bottoms) of brass kettles

Gravelbar32

Dec 19, 2020
SE Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, Older! Those are amazing! I'd give up finding 10 perfect pointy rocks to find ONE of those trade points.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are scarce in my experience 4 out of five are from the same spot

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1609529507.198443.jpg
Here’s some of the other stuff from that spot

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a sweet box of stuff. I have a few steel traders but my better ones are still in the pile, to be uncovered someday. I have shown couple rusted out ones. I think steel ones were stamped out with several different stems and filed however they saw fit. I also have one brass point that was a repurposed something. I have seen a broken pot handle filed sharp also.
I think they were always adjusting and tweaking to improve what they thought need it.

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
They are scarce in my experience 4 out of five are from the same spot

View attachment 1890350
Here’s some of the other stuff from that spot

Hey, question for you....I found a round “stone” similar to those you have pictured here. Mine looks almost identical in size shape and material. Mine was rolling in creek stuck behind large rocks. I thought it might be “Indian marble ‘ or musket ball. What are those ? Thank you in advance

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine are lead musket balls, many you can still make out the mold seam and some have obvious sprues. Most of the balls were found across a small draw, like they were firing into the opposite hillside. Kinda makes you wonder if it was just hunting or was there a fight? Seems like one wouldn’t willingly lose a gun and bullet mold or their clothes

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
About what size are they? The one I found in creek is a little smaller than a golf ball. Feels like a concretion or stone to me. Guess it could be lead. I will take some pics when I return to my KY home next week. Thank you

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613956154.013101.jpg
There’s a rough calculation you can do from weight to get an approximate caliber most of the ones I find are .49 caliber.

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Hey, thank you for the reply. So mine must be something else. It’s larger than the quarter, probably closer to a 50 cent piece. I’m going to try and find a picture. I don’t have it with me, as I’m working out of state currently.

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Here it is. It’s the small stone sitting in the nutting stone divot. I’ve thought about cutting it in half to see if it’s small geode. But I don’t really want to do that either. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614009443.930805.jpg

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look's like a limestone nodule to me............hard to tell for sure without having it in hand.

Iowa Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread