mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any experience in identifying sword blades? I found this yesterday on a new permission (also found trade rings, War of 1812 button, gobs of musket balls and some gun parts) so thinking this may be of the same time period. The way the rust is fused to the blade makes me believe it was in a fire before as electrolysis had little effect. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 20201219_110846_HDR.jpg 20201219_110755_HDR.jpg 20201218_150623_HDR.jpg 20201218_150615.jpg 20201219_091521_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Sorry, I cannot help.......I've not seen anything from a Fur Trade site like it. (But I certainly have not seen everything!) It's amazing some of the stuff that the Native Americans traded for, though.

Iowa Dale

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be able to help you,the sword or other?..(obviously missing the handle) could be anything from native trade or war of 1812 to pioneer...,you really have to dial in your site specific research...in my area of NY (western) there has been swords (rapier) dating circa 1687 found on native sites with battles of the French (rapiers being a French sword)...as far as the rust that is typical iron oxidation ,you will see same on iron trade axes,they will flake off leaving pits ,a light oil will help ,but as in any artifact heavy cleaning & removal of the patina literally destroys the artifact both in value & appearance...personally I leave mine alone,I just lightly wash with toothbrush to remove dirt ,then air dry,..then case...that's it....I see your in Michigan ,you have as much history surrounding the great lakes as I do here ,probably more!....goodluck hope this helped a little

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions