Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found these tomahawks under a Fort that was built over a Indian Shell mound in Louisiana in 1701. Grass,mud/clay, red brick,oyster shells and white shells in that order found 12+ inches down.

IMG_2770.jpg
IMG_2766.jpg
IMG_2768.jpg
IMG_2733.jpg
IMG_2734.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found them in 1701? Dang , you ol man you...L.o.l..

Small one is like a "bag" axe. Tote on a shooting bag. Multiple uses. Head by the head ,more finesse. Stout enough to split a pelvis or brisket or break bones for marrow.

Larger is close enough in style to be a shingling hatchet.
But....Depending on what was available , (wars changed trade and business and even cultures of who laid claim to a region) that sometimes you took what you could get for tools.
A time came when finding a tradition hawk (and multiple styles existed prior) was not a matter of convenience.
Just as there were times a blacksmith doing custom work was not handy.

Great recoveries Truth.
I handled a head decades ago and hunted with a long time. Since retired it. For now.
Never did get a solid I.D. on it. But , it's old and hand forged. That's enough I guess.

Hey releventchair thank you so much just like I told Steve this fort is the hardest place I ever hunted it?s been everything from a Indian shell mound to amusement park to a park where we drank beer as teens so there?s everything you can imagine. I?ve broken 3 shovels at this location. Predator Shovels told me here?s our toughest shovel don?t call back. This is a place that has been totally haunted out since the 70?s as well as being excavated by archaeologist so I?m been so lucky at this place I?ve gotten many War of 1812 buttons to a 8lb French cannonball from early 1700?s that I dug across the bayou 60 yards away and lots and lots of iron and trash so I?m really not worried about anyone else figuring where it is go for it! Lol and I found all these this past winter because you?re not doing any digging in the summer. If I would?ve known at 15 I?d be digging up my beer tabs 40 years later I?d would?ve thought I was nuts! Lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View recent photos 2.png
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 7.46.44 PM.png
If you have to worry about oak tree roots,brick,hard clay and white shells I recommend this shovel only thing is isn?t light

Last edited:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I agree with you 3cybill lol And I appreciate you Man I?m down here in the armpit of America and it is so humid and hot it?ll knock out all your motivation when you leave your house. I appreciate the nod [emoji631]

Buddy if you are in the armpit I must be in the crotch because even the women around here have swamp nutz its soooo hot!!

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
....sry to take so long to get back.I found site on www with a lot of info and contacted the guy about coming to this site to look and help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread