Anybody know about the Builtright Chair Co?

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
I bought a kids chair today at a yard sale - can tell it's old. The bottom is stamped with "Builtright Chair Co. - then something in quotes that I can't make out - I can make out the NC"

Here are some pics...

chair1.jpg

chair2.jpg

chair3.jpg

chair4.jpg

chair5.jpg

chair6.jpg

Just curious. I fell in love with it...

Thanks.

JadeWhiskey

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Builtright Chair Co.
901 Connor St.
Statesville, NC , 28677-5617
Phone: 704-873-6541
FAX: 704-871-8495

Business Activity: Manufacturer / Exporter

Products Description:
Hardwood chairs, rockers, juvenile chairs & rockers; barstools

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
And from the US Enviromental Protection Agency......
PLANT NAME: BUILTRIGHT CHAIR CO ** INACTIVE ** COMPLIANCE SYSTEM PLANT ID: 00013
AFS PLANT ID: 00013
LATITUDE: 354652 LONGITUDE: 805350
DUNS NUMBER: 003236114 PRINCIPAL PRODUCT: WOOD CHAIRS
INVENTORY YEAR: 93 EMERGENCY CONTROL:
CLASS CODE: POTENTIAL UNCONTROLLED EMISSIONS < 100 TONS/YR COMPLIANCE STATUS: IN COMPLIANCE - SHUT DOWN

BUILTRIGHT CHAIR COMPANY
901 CONNOR ST

STATESVILLE, NC 28677

OP
OP
jadewhiskey

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
Thank you - that was fast... Hmmm. Shut down.. After I posted earlier I tried to see if I could find anything too - I couldn't find much. I found a site that said that their website is www.dixieseating.com - but, again, the site didn't tell me much - it says that they have been making chairs for about 50 years. Do you know how I can find out how old this chair might be.

My kids want to play with it - but, I wanted to make sure it was something I could allow them to play with first - they are 2 and 4.

Thanks.

JadeWhiskey

OP
OP
jadewhiskey

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
I just tried to call the number given above... It just rang and rang... No machine...

I guess I will try again tomorrow...

JadeWhiskey

abmurdo

Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can most certainly fill you in on this child's chair. You see, my grandfather, Fred Jasper Murdock, started Builtright Chair Company in 1938. My father, Elmer Conda Murdock, became President and General Manager when Grandaddy died in 1966. All of us grandchildren worked in the plant for our summer jobs. My grandfather and father designed almost all of the equipment in the plant. The chairs were made so that the pieces were put together with few nails (with the exception of the seats). For this reason, Amish communities liked the simple way the chairs were made. The stamp underneath the seat reads (if my memory serves me correct) "Builtright Chair Company Manufacturers of the Original Double Sag Seat Chairs Statesville, NC Notice the way the seat is double-sagged ... from front to back and from side to side. Builtright had a patent on this seat design but lost it when a competitor found a picture of a double sag stool from King Tut's tomb! (just a little family folklore!). Your chair was built before the loss of the patent. The adult versions of your child's chair can still be found in many fellowship halls of churches and on the porches of countless homes in the South especially! The company no longer exists. In fact, I drove by the location yesterday 7/7/12 and there is no visible evidence that the company ever existed. Just memories.

delphineshinn

Aug 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Builtright Chair Co.

Wow, this great information about the Builtright Chairs for children. I ran across and bought 5 of these little sweeties at a local yard sale this weekend. They were used in the 50's or so in the local Pre-School of Sistersville, WV. I wondered about the company information, mystery solved. I am interested in selling them - any interest? many thanks 8/5/2013

I can most certainly fill you in on this child's chair. You see, my grandfather, Fred Jasper Murdock, started Builtright Chair Company in 1938. My father, Elmer Conda Murdock, became President and General Manager when Grandaddy died in 1966. All of us grandchildren worked in the plant for our summer jobs. My grandfather and father designed almost all of the equipment in the plant. The chairs were made so that the pieces were put together with few nails (with the exception of the seats). For this reason, Amish communities liked the simple way the chairs were made. The stamp underneath the seat reads (if my memory serves me correct) "Builtright Chair Company Manufacturers of the Original Double Sag Seat Chairs Statesville, NC Notice the way the seat is double-sagged ... from front to back and from side to side. Builtright had a patent on this seat design but lost it when a competitor found a picture of a double sag stool from King Tut's tomb! (just a little family folklore!). Your chair was built before the loss of the patent. The adult versions of your child's chair can still be found in many fellowship halls of churches and on the porches of countless homes in the South especially! The company no longer exists. In fact, I drove by the location yesterday 7/7/12 and there is no visible evidence that the company ever existed. Just memories.

aprilbyrd

Sep 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190915_153844.jpg 20190915_153844.jpg 20190915_153844.jpg 20190915_153844.jpg

These chairs have been in the family many decades. I wish to know exactly how old they are.

Attachments

• 20190915_153833.jpg
    20190915_153833.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 139

captjan

Jan 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have more information on Builtright Chair Company?

Hi...I was wondering if you have more information about your family’s company. Or if you know where or how I can get more information...especially on the age of a chair. When did the company shut down?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Georgesmith12

Jul 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you specifically want to know about them. They were shut down, and now in the game again, and working to build their digital presence from now on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread