Anybody know about the Builtright Chair Co?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By abmurdo
  • 1 Post By aprilbyrd

Thread: Anybody know about the Builtright Chair Co?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2005
    New Hampshire

Anybody know about the Builtright Chair Co?

I bought a kids chair today at a yard sale - can tell it's old. The bottom is stamped with "Builtright Chair Co. - then something in quotes that I can't make out - I can make out the NC"

Here are some pics...

Just curious. I fell in love with it...

Thanks.

JadeWhiskey

PBK

May 2005
    211 times

Re: Anybody know about the Builtright Chair Co?

Builtright Chair Co.
    901 Connor St.
    Statesville, NC , 28677-5617
    Phone: 704-873-6541
    FAX: 704-871-8495

Business Activity: Manufacturer / Exporter

Products Description:
    Hardwood chairs, rockers, juvenile chairs & rockers; barstools

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    277 times

And from the US Enviromental Protection Agency......
    PLANT NAME: BUILTRIGHT CHAIR CO ** INACTIVE ** COMPLIANCE SYSTEM PLANT ID: 00013
    AFS PLANT ID: 00013
    LATITUDE: 354652 LONGITUDE: 805350
    DUNS NUMBER: 003236114 PRINCIPAL PRODUCT: WOOD CHAIRS
    INVENTORY YEAR: 93 EMERGENCY CONTROL:
    CLASS CODE: POTENTIAL UNCONTROLLED EMISSIONS < 100 TONS/YR COMPLIANCE STATUS: IN COMPLIANCE - SHUT DOWN

BUILTRIGHT CHAIR COMPANY
    901 CONNOR ST

STATESVILLE, NC 28677
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

Mar 2005
    New Hampshire

Thank you - that was fast... Hmmm. Shut down.. After I posted earlier I tried to see if I could find anything too - I couldn't find much. I found a site that said that their website is www.dixieseating.com - but, again, the site didn't tell me much - it says that they have been making chairs for about 50 years. Do you know how I can find out how old this chair might be.

My kids want to play with it - but, I wanted to make sure it was something I could allow them to play with first - they are 2 and 4.

Thanks.

JadeWhiskey

Mar 2005
    New Hampshire

I just tried to call the number given above... It just rang and rang... No machine...

I guess I will try again tomorrow...

JadeWhiskey

Jul 2012
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I can most certainly fill you in on this child's chair. You see, my grandfather, Fred Jasper Murdock, started Builtright Chair Company in 1938. My father, Elmer Conda Murdock, became President and General Manager when Grandaddy died in 1966. All of us grandchildren worked in the plant for our summer jobs. My grandfather and father designed almost all of the equipment in the plant. The chairs were made so that the pieces were put together with few nails (with the exception of the seats). For this reason, Amish communities liked the simple way the chairs were made. The stamp underneath the seat reads (if my memory serves me correct) "Builtright Chair Company Manufacturers of the Original Double Sag Seat Chairs Statesville, NC Notice the way the seat is double-sagged ... from front to back and from side to side. Builtright had a patent on this seat design but lost it when a competitor found a picture of a double sag stool from King Tut's tomb! (just a little family folklore!). Your chair was built before the loss of the patent. The adult versions of your child's chair can still be found in many fellowship halls of churches and on the porches of countless homes in the South especially! The company no longer exists. In fact, I drove by the location yesterday 7/7/12 and there is no visible evidence that the company ever existed. Just memories.
    surf likes this.

Aug 2013

Builtright Chair Co.

Wow, this great information about the Builtright Chairs for children. I ran across and bought 5 of these little sweeties at a local yard sale this weekend. They were used in the 50's or so in the local Pre-School of Sistersville, WV. I wondered about the company information, mystery solved. I am interested in selling them - any interest? many thanks 8/5/2013

Quote Originally Posted by abmurdo View Post
    I can most certainly fill you in on this child's chair. You see, my grandfather, Fred Jasper Murdock, started Builtright Chair Company in 1938. My father, Elmer Conda Murdock, became President and General Manager when Grandaddy died in 1966. All of us grandchildren worked in the plant for our summer jobs. My grandfather and father designed almost all of the equipment in the plant. The chairs were made so that the pieces were put together with few nails (with the exception of the seats). For this reason, Amish communities liked the simple way the chairs were made. The stamp underneath the seat reads (if my memory serves me correct) "Builtright Chair Company Manufacturers of the Original Double Sag Seat Chairs Statesville, NC Notice the way the seat is double-sagged ... from front to back and from side to side. Builtright had a patent on this seat design but lost it when a competitor found a picture of a double sag stool from King Tut's tomb! (just a little family folklore!). Your chair was built before the loss of the patent. The adult versions of your child's chair can still be found in many fellowship halls of churches and on the porches of countless homes in the South especially! The company no longer exists. In fact, I drove by the location yesterday 7/7/12 and there is no visible evidence that the company ever existed. Just memories.

Sep 2019
    1 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190915_153844.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	1753193Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1753193

These chairs have been in the family many decades. I wish to know exactly how old they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190915_153833.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	1753195  
    A2coins likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links