Any ideas when this could have been made?

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is just a fascinating chair - does anyone know anything about this or has anyone seen a chair like this? I can't find any info on it whatsoever.

1.jpg 2.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't give ya any clear age HH, but my impression of the chair is that it was
built for a more ceremonial/formal purpose. I can imagine a chair like that
being in a Lodge meeting room, and the Grand Poobah would sit in it.

You should note that there are not many stars in that flag, as it might
be something to help date it.

Are there any labels or manufacturer markings on the chair? Usually
they're placed on the bottom of the seat. Would love to see some more
pics of it.

My gut is saying it's valuable, and I do hope you do some serious
homework on it before ever considering a sale. Someone is going to
know the history of that chair...and I do hope you can find them..:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Mike! Unfortunately I don't know if there are any markings. It's on a yard sale fb site and a friend was asking about it. I have been hunting everywhere for info. Trying to make out the flag and it looks like an early 1800s flag, but this is not my area really, so it has me stumped.

With a little pledge and love (ok, a total rehab on the seat, but that's easy stuff), this chair would be beyond stunning!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HH,

That's quite the chair and I agree on it having some sort of ceremonial purpose....with the back being as high as it is certainly not your usual dining room chair.

If you don't mind I'll take the liberty of knocking of a copy of the picture we have a fellow on the Canadian forum who's an antique dealer who might be able to clue you in on age, etc....

Regards + HH

Bill

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HH:

A) If I may ask...how much are they asking?

B) Whatever you do, don't even think about "restoration" until you get
a real ID on the chair. It could possibly have the highest value "as is",
and any attempts at restoration might actually devalue it.

Just look at the arms! They're worn, and as best I can tell from the pics
that's the original finish, and that's big medicine for antique furniture buyers.

You need provenance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
$200. I agree, never refinish. Just a little dust removal (aka DNA collection lol). I've had to restore one too many "improvements" on antiques - in all cases it improved the value because someone painted things that should not have been painted. I purchased an old vanity from a thrift store that dates back to the 30s and someone painted it burnt spinach green. ICK!! That was 2 weeks of pure hell in chemical land. Probably lost a few brain cells! It had 5+ coats of paint under the green. The desk looks like no one ever put a brush to it now. I also have a 1941 Miller Dunn Divinhood #3 that I will NEVER strip the paint off of. Sure, it can be beautiful and shiny if removed, but that's not what it was supposed to look like. I'm all about keeping things in their original state if possible. That gets a dry rag buffing occasionally.

I really hope my friend buys it. It's a crazy good deal. I hope it's a legit listing.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
$200. I agree, never refinish. Just a little dust removal (aka DNA collection lol). I've had to restore one too many "improvements" on antiques - in all cases it improved the value because someone painted things that should not have been painted. I purchased an old vanity from a thrift store that dates back to the 30s and someone painted it burnt spinach green. ICK!! That was 2 weeks of pure hell in chemical land. Probably lost a few brain cells! It had 5+ coats of paint under the green. The desk looks like no one ever put a brush to it now. I also have a 1941 Miller Dunn Divinhood #3 that I will NEVER strip the paint off of. Sure, it can be beautiful and shiny if removed, but that's not what it was supposed to look like. I'm all about keeping things in their original state if possible. That gets a dry rag buffing occasionally.

I really hope my friend buys it. It's a crazy good deal. I hope it's a legit listing.

Oh, so that was YOU I watched that time on PBS? :laughing7:

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool chair! Looks like something tax payers paid for at one time...

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
That is a great chair. Can you see how the seat is supported? That could give clues as to age as well.

Type of wood would be interesting too, if you can find an unfinished area...

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the style I would say it is Art Deco, that would put it in the 1920ies to 1940ies. In the US maybe later, dont know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread