GPS for Cache Hunting

darkroad

Greenie
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know anything about GPS units but that's just because I have never had a need for one. I have been metal detecting for about 30 years now and have used manual methods for gridding off 5 acre lots but this is a much large area. I am looking for a unit that I can use to grid off a long hollow. I will be using a 3 foot coil to cover the area quickly. I am looking for an item that contains about 300 lbs of cast iron. I want to be able to trace my route and download it to my computer daily so I can restart where I stopped last. Its a fairly large area so its going to take many trips and I don't want to re-hunt the same areas. I am looking for a unit that will get me back to about 5 feet from where I was last. Thanks for any help

Darkroad

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The accuracy you are interested in comes with a hefty price tag. Off the shelf gps units just don't have that kind of accuracy.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/dgps.htm

OP
OP
D

darkroad

Greenie
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks for the info, that's what I figured. What unit would work best for around $500.00. Would it get me in the 10 to 15 foot range?

Darkroad

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread