Looking for a good GPS HANDHELD IN THE 200 RANGE

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXPIRATE said:
wHATS A GOOD HANDHELP FOR AS CLOSE TO $200 Want to lean geocaching also for my metal detecting . thanks.
I have asked this same question with no responce.. Look at the Garvin GPS machines........... .
I studied over a week about gps machines. I am going to be using mine for detecting as well as maybe a little road traveling.I was going to spend upwards of maybe 4-$500,but decided it was not necessary to spend that much.When a much cheaper one will serve the same purposes.
Garvin Etrex machines start at about $60 ? - $400.....Depending on what you need. I was advised the Garvin Etrex models....Venture, Legend,,,or Vista would serve my purpose....and I choose the Garvin Etrex Legend CX,,,,on Ebay new for $120.......Then bought a Topo sd stick (loaded with topo maps for my midwest area)at an additional $70.......Total $190....................I am not positive I really needed the Topo stick........but I planned on hunting some wooded areas,and I will put it to the test when I get it.(The Legend can be used for geocaching as well)
You can get the Outdoors handheld model (like Mine).Or one that is loaded with US street maps for driving..............I do not know there limitations,as I am new to GPS.....But I will find out soon enough..
Good Luck, Dave

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here a map I made using a garmin e-trex and maptech terrain navigator. The red houses were located on a previous version topo map. the gps: yellow garmin e-trex

Attachments

• map 33.JPG
    map 33.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 360

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are some trails and waypoints of the area i hunt in. All the red and blue lines were tracked with a yellow garmin e-trex. The red dot are waypoints

Attachments

• map 55.JPG
    map 55.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 358

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
There are some pretty fancy ones out there now, but for geocaching and treasure hunting the base model Etrex
will do the job and you can also save yourself around 100.00 for a new set of headphones, digging tool, etc..

The only thing I'd recommend you get with it is the data cable. You can get by without it (I do), but entering those coordinates by hand gets old after a while.

Sorry for such a late reply, but I just saw this post.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread