Garmin 60CSx

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Okay, the wife bought me the Garmin 60CSx for Christmas. I have been wanting one for some time now to use both relic hunting and deer hunting. I would like to know if I need to purchase the US topo maps for it in order to utilize it for boths things I want to do. Also, I would love to hear from anyone that has the 60CSx and can give me pointers and tips.

thank you

Mike

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I've had a 60CS for years and just upgraded to a 60Cx. These units only come with a base map loaded. For what you want to do, topo maps would be the ticket.

Here is how I use mine for md'ing.

1. Using old (1800's) paper (or on-line) topo maps find the location of an old homestead that no longer exists. Note the geographical location (elevation lines) of the site on the topo map.

2. Then using the Garmin topo maps you install on your PC find the same geographical location and create a waypoint at the spot.

3. Load the maps and the waypoint onto your gps.

4.. Use the gps to hike to the spot.

On time I packed all my equipment into a backpack and used this procedure to hike 4.9 miles through the woods to a cellar hole. I walked right up to the location, didn't have to look around at all.

Your gps is also capable of road routing and will give you turn by turn instructions on driving to a location. In order to use this feature you have to buy the City Select maps. Topo maps are not routable even though they show the roads.

PM me before you purchase your topo maps.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Schrecky said:
Mike, I've had a 60CS for years and just upgraded to a 60Cx. These units only come with a base map loaded. For what you want to do, topo maps would be the ticket.

Here is how I use mine for md'ing.

1. Using old (1800's) paper (or on-line) topo maps find the location of an old homestead that no longer exists. Note the geographical location (elevation lines) of the site on the topo map.

2. Then using the Garmin topo maps you install on your PC find the same geographical location and create a waypoint at the spot.

3. Load the maps and the waypoint onto your gps.

4.. Use the gps to hike to the spot.

On time I packed all my equipment into a backpack and used this procedure to hike 4.9 miles through the woods to a cellar hole. I walked right up to the location, didn't have to look around at all.

Your gps is also capable of road routing and will give you turn by turn instructions on driving to a location. In order to use this feature you have to buy the City Select maps. Topo maps are not routable even though they show the roads.

PM me before you purchase your topo maps.

I love mine, just gotta pry it out of Buckle Boys hands.LOLOL

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best GPS units out there for the price. i love mine and use it often from hunting to geocaching.

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just upgraded to the 60csx last year. Locks sats. alot fast then my old 60cs. I would get the topo for hiking and hunting in the woods. That way u can see the terrain contours. Hec just bout got myself talked into getting topo now. Better quit while im ahead. ;D

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I agree with Schrecky.

I use the National Geographic Map program for the State of Missouri. I am able to pinpoint areas that I want to hunt and then download them into my Garmin, which takes me right there. If it is a backroad area I mark waypoints at some of the roads where I need to turn. My GPS also work in my car so I can load an address or waypoint and it will take me there without a map, plus it fits in my shirt pocket. It beeps when my turns are approaching and makes a second sound at the turn. When I get home I download the information from my Garmin into my map program and it shows exactly where I have traveled as a trail.

A Garmin without a map program is a waste. I am happy with National Geographic although the topographic maps are old. However, go purchase a new topographic map at a store and you will find that it was made twenty or 30 years ago. There are a number of programs out ther you can purchase, but National Geographic has been fine for me, by using the "handheld devices" button on the taskbar I can easily download and upload to and from my Garmin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread