Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*
TexasDigger1 said:
Has anyone ever used this GPS? Walmart has one on discount, regularly $449.99 for $199.99. I have a Garmin Vista HCX but just wondering if this Magellan would be that much better. The Garmin works very good in heavily wooded areas, no problem in getting a signals, how is the Magellan? Thanks for any info. John
I heard that they were junk.Magellan has been sold as I have heard.Try Groundspeak forums & see what is said about Magellan... http://forums.groundspeak.com/gc/

OP
OP
TexasDigger1

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Thanks for the info Freeze, glad I posted for the info. HH John

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008
I went through two of these units from walyworld and took both of them back.

here is what I found out.

Here are some hints to getting them to work.

If you buy the model from the "bundle" that has the Nat geo topo your someone what in luck. what they do not tell you is that the Nat Geo CD has an updated driver that is needed to get the GPS connected to your computer, The first one I took back, I only used the Magellan CD only and spent about 6 hours searching for drivers and trying to get it to connect and update the firmware, I gave up and took that unit back.

Then I got another one, and just kept messing around, finally I figured out that the Nat Geo disk has the correct driver, so I was finally able to update the firmware, THIS IS A MUST, your GPS just wont work correctly with out the firmware update, be patient, I took me almost 4 hours and 3-4 tries to get the firmware updated,
I was finally happy and able to put some maps on it,

THEN, the display went out the same night..... so I took it back and got a Delorme pn-20 from the internet, I like it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread