Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about getting a GPS to record where I've been and plot some finds.... :)

Does anyone want to suggest a handheld unit that does not totally break the bank?

In the short time I've been looking, the Delorme PN-30 has caught my eye. It seems to be a mid grade/price unit that would work OK. Does anyone have any experience with it or have other suggested units that they like better?

Thanks!

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an absolute mint Garmin CS for sale, not even a scratch!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I Can't sell on here. I have some retired ones. I now use a Garmin 64s for geocaching and my wife uses the 62s. Use it a lot. Love it. Been using Garmin since 2006.

Last edited:

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you not own a smartphone? All Apple iPhones as well as Android devices have built-in GNSS. There are lots of apps that can do basics GIS by recording points, lines, and polygons. I think that ther is a program called Tect-o-Track that is specifically marketed for this purpose.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO Garmin, they are the standard of the industry. What ever unit you purchase make sure it has the mapping software installed. It’s probably around $150, it depends on how many maps you want. Without the mapping software you will be looking at a blank screen and a dotted line where you have been (track), and icons of positions you loaded in. When you see or hear the term “base map” included is just a gimmick and you will still be buying software.
I personally have a Garmin 76CX with US Coastal Charts and Topos for the Smoky and Rocky Mountains, and Fl. Waterproof and floats. All the Garmins are east to operate. I use it detecting all the time. I research on Google Earth, get the numbers, then load them into my GPS and off I go, X marks the spot. Invaluable for bushwhacking. I wouldn’t venture in a lot of places I get into without one. Getting turned around in the Glades could be a fatal mistake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread