GPS as a tool

Dodad

Dec 8, 2006
Gore, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...............................D.L.Bean Asks...........................

I am amazed that there is not more posts about using GPS in the metal detecting forums. I am just wondering why? I also haven't seen any mention of Geocache.com a good place to learn how to use GPS to find treasures (a little different than digging for them but is still fun for all ages who like to find caches). If metal detecting it seems a descent GPS would be very handy. I own two Garmin Rino 110 model GPS units the thing I like about these is they are also FRS and GMRS radios. They also have a proximity alarm so if you mark a good spot and have to leave you can return to the same spot later very easily. You can also keep in touch with a partner within a two or five mile radius. Another cool feature is you can up-link to your computer and save all your hot spots. I think a good GPS is a great tool for any serious Metal Detectorist. This can also help you to archive where your big finds were found. They really can be a very good tool for anyone who likes to MD.

D.L. Bean
Fort Smith,Arkansas
"Hell on the border"

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
You are right dodad a good gps is a helpfull tool, I usually have one with me and mark the spots that i detect

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying a Garmin GPS is almost as important as a good detector in the back country for not only marking your finds, but the way back to the truck. I like the 76S model but have used the others. I used to sell GPS's at that lil ole Bass Pro Shop till I used up all my money buying stuff with my discount. But, that is another story.

I tried using it on a huge dry sand beach to mark where I found targets to see if there was a pattern. The 20' scale was good for this. It soon got to be a chore an took away from the fun. If I wanted a profit I would have to get a job. Same reason I sold my dredge, work......

OP
OP
Dodad

Dodad

Dec 8, 2006
Gore, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your replies. I haven't been back to the forums for a while. Just wanted to let you know I read and appreciated your replies. Thanks.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have used a Garmin and terrain navigator for several years now and won't attempt to locate a new site without them.

raptor

Feb 4, 2007
Westmoreland Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I just bought a Magellan explorist today at an very low price(brand New) I figured I better get everything I can before the snow goes away and the 250 starts talking to me. What are your opinions on this GPS

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have a GPS that I use to mark sites with. Comes in handy for finding new sites and returning to old & productive sites.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
I practice this hobby-geocaching and I have fun. Many time I combine geocaching with Kayaking and MD.

Amona

Attachments

• gps.JPG
    gps.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 685
  • gps-2.JPG
    gps-2.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 682

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
I have 2 Lowrance Hand helds That I use detecting and fishing also.

So far I know, Lowrance is a old technology.The first time I saw a Lowrance it was in a MD magazine in 1989.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I've never tried using a GPS. I just look at a map and point myself whereever I want to go. I've thought of getting a GPS, but I don't have the budget for it right now. It would come in handy for relocating good TH'ing, or prospecting spots though.

Actually, I was looking around the web for a DIY GPS that I could build myself, or modify from a cell phone, (but the cell phone GPS isn't very accurate and usually means connection to some online map service). I've even looked at GPS watches that run around $100, but at that price I could probably get something better off of eBay. If only one of those DIY types on the web would put up a simple GPS that doesn't have all the bells and whistles. I only need to know my latitude and longitude with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Oh well. Maybe by summer I'll find something affordable.

I did see an attachment for some cameras that marks each image with the GPS coordinates, when I was hunting the web. Thought it was something others here might have a use for, but it was about then that my browser froze and crashed. I could probably find it again and if I do I'll post it here for anyone intersested.

Have a good day!

F.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
I use G.P.S. for many reasons:

1. If I'm "cache hunting" and I detect some spot but I don't want dig it for some reason, I mark the spot up with the G.P.S.

2. To mark up caves

3. To mark up landmarks

4. For Treasure Hunting survey

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
My brother-in-law introduced me to geocaching a couple of years ago. I have been thinking about buying a handheld GPS unit and have done a little bit of research on the web. Would be very interested in more discussion from people who have actually used various models - pros, cons, useful features, etc.

I like these features:

Dodad said:
I own two Garmin Rino 110 model GPS units the thing I like about these is they are also FRS and GMRS radios. They also have a proximity alarm so if you mark a good spot and have to leave you can return to the same spot later very easily. You can also keep in touch with a partner within a two or five mile radius. Another cool feature is you can up-link to your computer and save all your hot spots.

and this:

RON (PA) said:
I have a GPS that I use to mark sites with. Comes in handy for finding new sites and returning to old & productive sites.

I have a Garmin StreetPilot c330 for my car. It does a great job of getting from one street address to another, but doesn't have to ability to go to specific long./lat. coordinates. Is there a way to interface to a handheld GPS? Or does that even make sense? I like the "up-link" to computer idea. I can see a lot of benefits to transferring data on locations, date/time, etc. versus manually keying in everything.

Another possibility: Since I'm big into compatibility and minimizing the number of separate gadgets, I thought about buying GPS software for my Treo 700w. I looked into getting something like CoPilot Live 6 or Palm GPS Navigator Smartphone - but I don't need another address to address navigation system. Is anyone aware of software to convert a Treo into a handheld GPS positioning device?

Joe

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garmin 12XL (now almost as good a relic as what I'm digging) and had a Garmin GPSMAP 175. Where I hunt it's usually near a road so the GPS is much less of a tool. I do mark foundations I come across in woods hikes. I get much better play with a few old map sites on the Internet and cross reference them with a modern topo map.

Suppose if I was in less traveled regions looking for caches or battlefields it would be a primary tool for marking sites or pre-setting waypoints to potential areas. Most parks and homesites are pretty close to paved roads. ;)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amona said:
(now almost as good a relic as what I'm digging) and had a Garmin GPSMAP 175.

I have the GPSMAP 175 and I love it.

Amona

Loved mine, also. But I had it on a removable binnacle mount on my sailboat, wired with a remote antenna and connected to the VHF (DSC Repeater) and autopilot/SEATALK system, and when I sold the boat I "did the right thing" and it went with the boat. Handy as all get out on road-trips in the car, too. Figured the "next" one will take downloaded charts directly instead of the G-Chips.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
But I had it on a removable binnacle mount on my sailboat, wired with a remote antenna and connected to the VHF (DSC Repeater) and autopilot/SEATALK system, and when I sold the boat I "did the right thing" and it went with the boat. Handy as all get out on road-trips in the car, too. Figured the "next" one will take downloaded charts directly instead of the G-Chips

Actually, the GPSMAP 175 was designed for marine use but you can use it for road trip,hiking, even , geocaching.

Amona

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I use my Magellan Explorist 500 everytime I go out. I use it to not only mark spots I want to hunt later, but it is much easier to look at while driving than a map. I really use it alot while hiking and on recon missions to locate specific areas I want to hunt. It is as important to me as my md or digging tool. I can then download all of my marks and info right to my laptop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread