Gps for documenting...

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Artifacts and relics. Anyone use GPS for this purpose?
Can I mark a spot an artifact was found at, and come back later and be within a 2-3 foot distance reliably?

Let's also set a rule that the FACTORY preset maps is the only ones I would use.

I'm thinking under 200 bucks because I KNOW I will be replacing it every year or so... Electronics and I don't agree on what a "hospitable environment" is...

The terms "Waterproof" and "shockproof" dont get much of my faith.

Any recommendations?

I've heard the Garmin Oregon series is great, but double what I want to spend....

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the geocaching gps units, they work well in the trees and are designed to get you to coordinates.

The other option is to upgrade to a CTX 3030, it will mark your finds, and can get you back to a spot . :wink:

Wayne

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I dig something up that I know the museum will want I mark it with a GPS because they want the lat/lon for their records. I got a lecture about how they discourage what I do and that I should work only under the supervision of an archaeologist... ("whatever" they are sure glad to take the item) Well anyway I just use an app on my cell phone and it's pretty darn accurate. I'd say within 30X30'?

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am use the hand held Garmin Montana 600 gps and it is great for marking a spot and then getting back within 20 feet of my marked spot. I also have installed a map chip for my state made by huntinggpsmaps that gives all private land owners property boundaries along with the land owners name plus all forest service, blm, Indian reservations land. Now I can tell you that I use my gps a lot for hunting, riding my atv, hiking and geocaching so that I know if I am trespassing on private property or not which keep me out of trouble with the law. If you aren't going to use a gps that much there are cheaper alternatives but a gps is nice to have along anytime.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look at the geocaching gps units, they work well in the trees and are designed to get you to coordinates. The other option is to upgrade to a CTX 3030, it will mark your finds, and can get you back to a spot . :wink: Wayne

Geocaching GPS... Great tip!

I had no idea the CTX had that feature!

Thanks Wayne!

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I dig something up that I know the museum will want I mark it with a GPS because they want the lat/lon for their records. I got a lecture about how they discourage what I do and that I should work only under the supervision of an archaeologist... ("whatever" they are sure glad to take the item) Well anyway I just use an app on my cell phone and it's pretty darn accurate. I'd say within 30X30'?

Thanks for the info!

I've been using google earth on an iPhone to get my coordinates, and am seeking a bit more reduction in the size of my search grids.

More importantly, I'm curious of what your finding on them beaches that the museums want!

Is there an Atocha II out there?!?! Haha

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am use the hand held Garmin Montana 600 gps and it is great for marking a spot and then getting back within 20 feet of my marked spot. I also have installed a map chip for my state made by huntinggpsmaps that gives all private land owners property boundaries along with the land owners name plus all forest service, blm, Indian reservations land. Now I can tell you that I use my gps a lot for hunting, riding my atv, hiking and geocaching so that I know if I am trespassing on private property or not which keep me out of trouble with the law. If you aren't going to use a gps that much there are cheaper alternatives but a gps is nice to have along anytime.

Understood! Thanks much!

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the info!

I've been using google earth on an iPhone to get my coordinates, and am seeking a bit more reduction in the size of my search grids.

More importantly, I'm curious of what your finding on them beaches that the museums want!

Is there an Atocha II out there?!?! Haha

No donations from the beach yet but I was snorkeling the remains of the first known settlements of the fish houses along Charlotte Harbor and where the old long docks were located. I found an old bowman's whistle from the 1920's to 1930's I donated because it's relevant to local history. These were the first known settlements of commercial fishing in the area. I have another piece Im still sitting on because they might block it from MD'ing if it's what I think it is so until I finish my hunting of the area it stays under wraps. They are actually very nice at the Charlotte County Historical Center and since I get a lot of info from them I try to give back. I have so many relics ( I was originally a relic hunter) after I research the item if the museum wants it they get it.

Once donated they research it also, it's documented and noted who donated it and you get a nice letter thanking you for the donation with an attached photo and historic info of the item. Then they put on display.. pretty cool.

http://ccflhistory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/searchterm/aerial/order/nosort

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No donations from the beach yet but I was snorkeling the remains of the first known settlements of the fish houses along Charlotte Harbor and where the old long docks were located. I found an old bowman's whistle from the 1920's to 1930's I donated because it's relevant to local history. These were the first known settlements of commercial fishing in the area. I have another piece Im still sitting on because they might block it from MD'ing if it's what I think it is so until I finish my hunting of the area it stays under wraps. They are actually very nice at the Charlotte County Historical Center and since I get a lot of info from them I try to give back. I have so many relics ( I was originally a relic hunter) after I research the item if the museum wants it they get it. Once donated they research it also, it's documented and noted who donated it and you get a nice letter thanking you for the donation with an attached photo and historic info of the item. Then they put on display.. pretty cool. http://ccflhistory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/searchterm/aerial/order/nosort

I absolutely dig your style, sir.

I do the same thing occasionally, I can tell it's appreciated when some of the county museums get to add some donated items to their sparse displays... Even when all it may be are a bunch of old horse tack buckles or flatware from an old homestead!

Lastly, great logic on keeping hush until you clear a spot that may become restricted upon your revealing of history or events that happened there. You get the praise of being a Good Samaritan whenever you donate artifacts, but you also allow yourself to do some getting while it's still good, and LEGAL!

Happy hunting, and thanks for preserving the history!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can I mark a spot an artifact was found at, and come back later and be within a 2-3 foot distance reliably?

There is some good information already presented on this thread. I'd just like to make it clear that your 2-3 foot reliability is just not going to happen with the available commercial grade GPS units. Your best locational ability with a modern unit like the current Garmin units is 9 foot. Realistically that figure is not consistently repeatable and the 20 foot standard given above would be a very good result. Without two WAAS repeaters and more than three satellites with a 40+ second static location you won't be able to get any closer than 30 foot.

Just take the best stabilized GPS reading you can get and take a picture of the surroundings and you should have plenty of information to relocate your object.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is some good information already presented on this thread. I'd just like to make it clear that your 2-3 foot reliability is just not going to happen with the available commercial grade GPS units. Your best locational ability with a modern unit like the current Garmin units is 9 foot. Realistically that figure is not consistently repeatable and the 20 foot standard given above would be a very good result. Without two WAAS repeaters and more than three satellites with a 40+ second static location you won't be able to get any closer than 30 foot. Just take the best stabilized GPS reading you can get and take a picture of the surroundings and you should have plenty of information to relocate your object.

More great info here, thanks a ton!

I actually decided to do exactly as you said, however due to drastic seasonal landscape changes instead of pictures as a secondary pinpointing method, I found several dozen 1" thick flat-headed aluminum stakes (18" long").

I'll sink one of those in whenever I need a return-to-site reference... It's on the ranch, so It's not a problem, and they'd hit loud on my detector, so very easy to find.

They'd last through the prescribed burning I do also!

Thanks again!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to let you guys know,if you stumble upon a nice area and mark the coords,GPS units can be hacked into.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
So the alumiu foil wrapped around my head doesnt help

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Artifacts and relics. Anyone use GPS for this purpose?

Let's also set a rule that the FACTORY preset maps is the only ones I would use.

I'm thinking under 200 bucks because I KNOW I will be replacing it every year or so... Electronics and I don't agree on what a "hospitable environment" is...

The terms "Waterproof" and "shockproof" dont get much of my faith.

Any recommendations?

I've heard the Garmin Oregon series is great, but double what I want to spend....

I'm also looking at the garmin oregon 450 still shopping around, I'll look after X-mas seems that's when some good deals in clearance items seem to happen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread