FIELD UNIT: WHICH ONE DID YOU GET

Cactus Pete

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Skykomish Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug SE w/two coils
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 w/two coils
Digital Control F5 (locating device for directional drilling)
Drillguide Gyroscopic Steering Tool (inertial guidance for directiona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Almost any handheld mapping GPS from Garmin will do what you're asking. With more money you get additional features - the least expensive units don't have the ability to display a topographic map, the most expensive will show your position on a topo map, and much more. All of them will download waypoints or tracks to a computer, where you can then manipulate the data and plot it on Google Earth or other mapping software.

Once you get handy with the GPS unit itself and some accessory software, you can download free topo maps off the internet (Forest Service, GISMapdepot, etc.) and upload them to the GPS for field use.

All of the handheld Garmin (and Magellan, the other major brand) are plenty rugged enough for field use, unless you plan on using it for a hammer.

For a basic unit with the ability to display topo maps, take a look at the Garmin ETrex 20 - often found on sale at Cabela's or other places. I like GPSCity.com for excellent selection and service, as well as great videos and advice on choosing a unit.

I also have a Garmin Montana, which not only is a great and capable handheld, but works as a great automotive GPS, and I also have a rugged mount for it to run it on my off-road dirt bikes. It's more up at the high end of the scale in price.

Also - you can find some great deals on refurbished GPS units from places like GPS City.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a handheld Delorme PN20 and a Delorme Earthmate USB with a laptop. I use them with the Delorme Topo USA software. It is a seamless fit. I just read Delorme was bought out by Garmin.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My first GPS was an old GPS 38, from 1997. It still works, but display has many dead lines. On my last visit to the States, I bought a new etrex 20x. As always I bought one step less than I should have. Living in the mountains, I should have got a 30x, but didn't know it would have given me more altitude capacity, and a compass. Still the 20x is a nice machine. I will be posting more here when I get time.s

It does have a lot of space on waypoints for comments. The old GPS 38 was limited to a very few letters and no more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread