How to decide what to buy?

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hi, everyone,

I imagine you hear this question often, so maybe the answer will come easily--I am a total "newbie" to the concept of GPS and yet I think I'd like a handheld unit. I looked at the Garmin and Magellan web sites, and they really aren't much help to someone who doesn't know or understand all the features. What are the "must have" features? What are the "nice if you can afford them" features? Finally, do you have a recommendation of what someone should buy if all he really wants to do is find locations that have GPS coordinates and make sure he doesn't get lost in the woods?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Mike in Oregon

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Hi, Just bought a new Magellan Explorist 500 LE off of ebay today! I think it will do me just fine! Has alot of features and it's color! I can use it in the car or out in the woods deer hunting, or my favorite hobby coordinating points of interest for places to detect!!!!! It has alot of features that I'll probably never even use! Gotta go, Nascarfan

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Like anything, it depends on how much you want to spend, and what all you want to do with it.

I really like the Gramin eTrex. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6403 It's easy to use and very affordable.

I have a bike mount and use it when out riding and geocaching. There are several different models to choose from. It all depends on what your doing. Color, turn by turn instructions, waterproof, and so on. All of it changes the price.

Then there are the Garmin Rhino's. If you want to combine a GPS with radio comms. It's really a cool unit, but a little pricey.

Remember, when your in the woods under cover, or in a deep canyon, between mountain tops, no GPS will work for you. You need a clear view of the sky for accurate readings.

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
Some work much better under trees and among tall buildings/canyons than others. I've been amazed by some of the places that the higher-end Garmins with the SiRF chipset will work. Heck, they work inside my house. The four units with the SiRF chip are GPSMAP 60Cx, 60CSx, 76Cx, and 76CSx. The main difference in the 60 series and the 76 series is that the 60's are a little smaller and the 76's will float. The models with the 'S' have an electronic compass. Amazon usually has about the best prices on Garmin units.

The new Delorme PN20 doesn't use the SiRF chip but whatever it does use works really well under trees too.

If you're going to be mostly out in open areas, then any basic GPS unit will guide you to a coordinate or save a location as a waypoint.

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
Garmin just released some new models that have a new "high sesitivity" receiver to work better under trees and among buildings, canyons etc. Early reports say that this new chipset works as well as the SiRF Star chips.

The new models have an "H" in their model name to denote the new chip. The cheapest one is the new eTrex H that should sell for right around $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189013896&sr=1-1

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Hey, Im a newbie as well. I would like to get one that is color, with the capablility of the chips with the topo and street maps. Something that can take a beating and water proof. Maybe in the $300 - $400 range. Any comments would be helpfull.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,
I drive a Taxi Cab in Baton Rouge La. I have a Garmin Street Pilot C-330. Works great and its relativly cheap and very very user friendly.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a garmin etrex (the yellow one) and Terrain Navigator software on my computer. I also use a bicycle mount on the handlebars of my atv. I create waypoints on my pc and download them to the gps and navigate to them. As well as waypoints, I can also exchange routes and tracks between gps and pc. I like to print a topo map of the area of interest, using utm coordinates. This allows me to know exactly where i am located, within a few meters. This is a non-mapping unit. Most gps mapping technology has leaned toward street/road navigation the last few years(that's what the market demanded). Bushnell has recently come out with a topographical mapping unit that really looks like it would work great for off-road excursions. Just remember, gps is not stand alone technology-you will still need a map, compass and navigational skills. Mine is a basic set-up without all the bells and whistles but it works for me and i'm not planning any upgrades just now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread