Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By standard8
  • 1 Post By xaos

Thread: Tech question of gps

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    101 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Tech question of gps

Hello all, I started thinking about the gps apps for phone and then the stand alone units. I just wondering if there is no cell phone coverage in the desert then the gps downloaded on the phone is useless no? The handheld units use satellite signals as opposed to cell towers or am I wrong about the apps on phones. I want to buy a gps unit for mapping a claims' long/lat. coordinates. Thanks for any all info.

us
    Jul 2015
    Seattle Washington
    28 times
    Satellite based gps is definitely the way to go.
    The phone will not function when way out in the sticks.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Bill Jones

May 2007
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Multiple Tesoros and Whites
    683 times
    Metal Detecting
    I"ve wondered the same thing. I think standard8 is probably right on.
    luvsdux

br
    Jul 2018
    95 times
    Cell phones use A-GPS when there is a cell connection, but use GPS when there is not. Phones have the same receiver as handheld GPS units. So, cell phones still get GPS coordinates when not connected to a cell tower.

There are several Satellite tracker apps that give you the GPS location using the phones GPS system, not the cell or internet position. The app GPS Status seems pretty good. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...achi.gpsstatus Read the comments on the apps, some have many, many ads.

If you want maps while offline, you need to get an offline map package. Many trail programs have this. Usually there is a cost for these. I think Google Maps has an offline package.

You can get a GPS receiver for your phone that does not rely on cell connection, if you need to be really accurate.
    There are external blutooth GPS units.
    For Android, use a bluetooth GPS unit..

Bad Elf is another...these are used for General Aviation pilots for the aircraft, and for boat owners http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotS...hoCw18QAvD_BwE

You can add a WAAS puck to a laptop https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-...KF6CHEEVGR2JFQ a much cheaper option
    Last edited by xaos; Sep 23, 2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    son of the son of the son of a sailor....

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    9273 times
    Prospecting
    The GPS chip/antenna in cell phones suck weak tea. Often the phones use cell tower triangulation when they could be using GPS. I wouldn't rely on cell GPS if I was out in the woods for a bunch of technical reasons but I think they are fine for getting you near to the local Walmart or McDonalds.

Don't risk your life on a cell phone GPS. Some models do have real GPS but they are an afterthought crammed into a few square millimeters and they rely on antennas optimized for other signals.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links