Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed If you look for a house for sale on Google Earth/maps 9 times out of 10 the location in incorrect (by a small amount). I'm thinking its for protection/privacy.They get the road correct,but not the actual house.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed If you look for a house for sale on Google Earth/maps 9 times out of 10 the location in incorrect (by a small amount). I'm thinking its for protection/privacy.They get the road correct,but not the actual house.

Youre confusing two things. GE is a satellite image with GPS coords. The addressing system of a town is NOWHERE close to being based off GPS coords. If you look at address numbers from parallel roads, the numbering wont even match up there. Just ask any first responder how much house numbers can vary.

I have been using GPS plot points in GE for years now and its good enough to get you within a few feet. Any good commercial GPS unit can reliably get you back within a few feet of the same point day after day, and its position on a GE image will have the same general amount of error.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always used "Zoom Earth", and I have always been happy with the results.

https://zoom.earth/

I just can't stand google.

Antigoogle_150x138.JPG

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Direct from Google:

"Google makes no claims as to the accuracy of the coordinates in Google Earth. These are provided for entertainment only and should not be used for any navigational or other purpose requiring any accuracy whatsoever.

Our imagery varies from sub-meter resolution in major cities to 15 meter resolution for most of the earth's surface, with a global base resolution of 1KM. Since our database is constantly being updated, we cannot state a specific resolution for any geographic region."

With a base resolution of one kilometer (3,280 feet) and a bogus projection system it would be unwise to rely on any coordinate/aerial image location found on Google Earth. Sometimes it works OK and other times you will be "entertained". :dontknow:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youre confusing two things. GE is a satellite image with GPS coords. The addressing system of a town is NOWHERE close to being based off GPS coords. If you look at address numbers from parallel roads, the numbering wont even match up there. Just ask any first responder how much house numbers can vary.

I have been using GPS plot points in GE for years now and its good enough to get you within a few feet. Any good commercial GPS unit can reliably get you back within a few feet of the same point day after day, and its position on a GE image will have the same general amount of error.
Pull up Google maps (to a location your familiar with).Then zoom in on that address.At the far right bottom corner you'll see a little yellow man.Click & drag him to that location your familiar with,and you'll get a shot of that location.
Example in the next post...........

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Google Earth images do not have photogrammetric accuracy. The error at the centre of an image found by entering a latitude/longitude value in the stand-alone version of Google Earth and the correct position of that point may differ by more than ten meters even in areas of high resolution.

Google imaging uses the Plate Carée projection which is a transverse cylindrical Mercator projection to a sphere and not to an ellipsoid. The non-conformal Plate Carée projection is inherently distorted unlike most large scale maps which use a conformal projection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions