will gps show military reservtion boundries? if not can i get gps maps that wil

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I'm contemplating getting a gps and also following a what looks like it might be an interesting trail. it skirts a government installation on one side and blm land on the other. Of course i want to be sure i don't inadvertently wander across the line.

What would you recommend? Ideally i would like to see where i am, and also where the boundary line is, when i look at the gps.

Any helpful links or idea would be appreciated too. Will i have to haul some paper maps along too?

I imagine some of you have needed to do the same thing. How do you figure out where the boundary is so you stay on the right side of the law?

Thanks!

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Re: will gps show military reservtion boundries? if not can i get gps maps that

Hey thanks catfish, I was looking at garmins and magellans this evening. Will take awhile to decide.
Thanks again.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Personally I would contact the Provost Marshalls office and let them Know what my intentions were. They also may be able to provide you with a map. A word of caution here. Any thing electronic near a military base nowadays will get you in trouble big time. Do not, I repeat do not wander around the perimiter of an active military base with the following. No GPS, No Cameras, No MD without permission, lastly no Radios or even cell phones. People are tagged all the time on the last one. But just some reasonable thinking on your part should explain why the military would be less than enthusiastic about a civilian walking the perimiter of there post with the above Items.

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Re: will gps show military reservtion boundries? if not can i get gps maps that

Thanks md. i hesitated even posting my question the way things are today.

I will call the provost marshall and see what he or she recommends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread