Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoPilot Live 11 / laptops / truck & RV vs. TomTom GO720

Got this GPS for traveling in my RV since it is the only one out that takes into account the height and weight of the vehicle, plus steers you around bridges where propane tanks cannot go. Sounds great, doesn't it? After many a horror story on every trip, I finally had to fire it. They obviously threw something together to be the first to accomodate trucks and RV's, and left all the bugs to the poor users. I live in an RV full time and for the most part haven't been to the places I need to get to. So I really need a GPS. You can't just pull an RV off to the side and read a map. It has to be accurate and the verbal instructions need to be clear.
It often would not know a street I needed to go to. I called the company about it and they said they knew, they were working on it. That happened alot. It has this u-turn psychosis, always wants you to exit the freeway and u-turn for no apparent reason. Which was great in July in Miami when I ended up in the hood at a dead-end street, had to get out of the RV and remove the tow car so I could get turned around and outa there. The mechanical voice was barely decipherable. Many other issues with it, but the short of it is that I strongly recommend you try something else.

I checked Consumer Reports and bought the one they liked best. TomTom GO720. It is a slice of heaven. You can hook it up to online and download from alot of voices. I chose "Richard" and it is perfectly understandable and alerts you to exits, etc with just the right timing. If you exit to get gas or take a different route for some reason, it adjusts very quickly. (CoPilot would go into a u-turn frenzy.) Easy to program and so far has known all the streets I've needed to go to. I love my Richard, he never steers me wrong!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CoPilot Live 11 / laptops / truck & RV vs. TomTom GO720

Yep, I definitely understand!!!
I spent YEARS printing out Mapquest maps, and then Livemap maps... and I had papers crammed all between my truck seats and underneath them.
Finally this Summer, I had to give in and buy a GPS to get around an unfamiliar town and residential gated communities.
I ended up purchasing the TomTom GO 920 (with the bluetooth remote), and I haven't regretted it since! That thing not only got me EVERYWHERE I needed to go this Summer, but also helped ALOT getting me back up to college on a route that I've never taken before!!!
The online updates that you get when docking the GPS on the USB cradle is what really keeps it ahead of the competition, since it uses user-submitted revisions of map details. I know I've corrected some myself, and it's pretty easy to do!
Anyway, great choice! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread