HEY SPORTSFANS---- BECKETT COLLECTOR MAGS HOLD OR DUMP ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
picked up a lot of beckett colector mags for 15 cents ea. 50 set me back 7.50. mostly baseball few football. all very minty.most in plastic sleeve look untouched. ca.1986 thru 1992 or so w many old time stars.incl griffy jr .,ryan, gonzalez,sandberg.etc etc. issues monthly.most mine issu #20's to #50s.which would be in the first 5yrsof the mags publication. have great color covers of famous stars.im not into sportscards much. i go on ebay these little or no interest.
whats wrong.sick economy? not old enuf yet? too many were saved.is there a valu guide for these?

what your opinion, keep or dump?

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't to keep them. If the issue says commemorative or special issue, I would keep them. Plus if the mags cover any specific record breaking feat, I would also keep them. You never know what things can be worth overtime. ???

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
They're a good reference for what cards USED TO BE WORTH. Believe me, I own some classic football cards like Jim Brown's rookie, Frank Gifford's from '52, Joe Montana's et al. I also have some of the first pro cards ever minted from the 1935 National Chicle football card set ---- extremely rare!
Unfortunately, businesses like Pro Set and others started flooding the market and jacking up the prices of packs in the 90's and ruined the business for everyone.... :(
These things will eventually recover their value, but when is anybody's guess and frankly I'm not planning on retiring on the money I'll eventually get.
As for your mags they're good keep sakes, but with regard to value you might be better off using them for toilet paper!
HH
-spyguy

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
spyguy said:
These things will eventually recover their value, but when is anybody's guess and frankly I'm not planning on retiring on the money I'll eventually get.

Pretty sure they will never, ever recover the value they once had in the "mania days".
It's possible for some of the vintage ones of greats that were printed before the whole Sports Card Boom hit (and the printing presses were let to fly) but anything after about 1985 or so is pretty much a dogs butt from the outset.

I was really lucky in that I was just old enough to quickly recognize what sort of impact ebay would have on the hobby and sold out while there was still selling to be had. Still, will there ever be a day when a 1989 Hoops David Robinson sells for $45 or a 1989 Pro Set Barry Sanders brings $15? I seriously doubt that. Sports cards are a classic illustration of those things that go down and aren't destined to one day go back up.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
I still have the first issue of the Basketball Beckett with Michael Jordan on the cover. It's in MINT shape.... I wonder what's it worth ??? Any ideas ?

PLL

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
put the oldest issue of each sport in your vehicle and use it to
find bargains at yard sales. Do not buy the "expensive" rookie cards.
Many cards are at their highest price levels the first year. ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread