Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a garage sale in the Dewey/Bartlesville, Oklahoma area the other day and found a really neat old suitcase full of papers!! They are from the late 1800's/early 1900's and are from "M. Liepman & Bro., Clothing House, Gents Furnishing Goods, Hats, Caps, Trunks, ect., Merchant Tailoring--14 North Main Street, Ft. Scott, Kansas". There are stacks of old cancelled checks written to different companies that must have supplied this store with their merchandise and include: RAINSHINE UMBRELLA CO., THE W.J. CALHOUN DRY GOODS CO., FOREST CITY OVERALLS MFG. CO., JACKOWAY & KATZ CAP CO., BUSTER BROWN HOSIERY MILLS(CHATTANOOGA, TENN.), FRIEDMAN-SHELBY SHOE CO., KNOX HAT COMAPNY-DUNLAP & COMPANY, SCOTCH WOOLEN MILLS, EVERWEAR HOSIERY MILLS, UNITED STATES RUBBER CO., BARTON HAT CO., INTERNATIONAL DUPLEX COAT CO., MUNSINGWEAR CORP., KAYNEE CO., BLUCO CAP MFG. CO., AND IVORY GARTER CO. TO NAME A FEW. THERE ARE ALSO CHECKS MADE OUT TO DIFFERENT RAILROADS--MO., KAN., & TEX.(MK&T), ST. LOUIS-SAN FRANSISCO RY CO., AMERICAN RAILWAY EXPRESS CO., RAILROAD & CITY YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASS'N.
There are also some old letterheads/billheads from different business' in Fort Scott--?erne Q. Powell(Manufacturer Of High Class Jewelry, Emblem Goods, Ect., Dealer In Rich Cut Glass, Diamonds, Watches, Clocks, Ect., Optician, Watchmaker, Artistic Engraver), Prager & Sons(Watches, Clocks & Jewelry), John Winn(General Contractor and Builder), Dr. W.S. McDonald (Physician and Surgeon).
There are some paper's from the Treasurer's Office of Bourbon Co., Kansas that go as far back as 1872!!! and are for the "School District and Township Tax"(what was this???) and also some "Certificate of Redemption" papers from 1893(what were these for???).
One of the really cool papers was for "ANALYSTS' REPORT BLACK ROD SCOTCH WHISKY", CITY ANALYSTS LABORATORY, 156 BATH STREET, GLASGOW, 8TH OCT., 1923.(See pic).
All of these things are a wonderful look into the past! The checks tell a great story about what the Liepmans Clothing House sold and have a wonderful picture of the building on one end!
Does anyone know if this store is still standing?
Is there a market for this kind of stuff--maybe eBay would be a good place to try it, huh??! I really don't want to keep it (but it was such a steal at the garage sale, I couldn't pass it up, and I've had fun going through and reading all the papers!!).
Thanks for looking and if anyone could supply info about this place, I would certainly appreciate it! sandcreek4

UPDATE*****This stuff was sold today 4-20-09 on ebay for $441.68!!
HOW COOL IS THAT?!!?:headbang: :hello2: :angel8: :blob1: :tongue1: :laughing9: YEAH ME!!!
The people who bought it are related to the Liepman family and its going back to Fort Scott Kansas to be used for family history research. sandcreek4

Attachments

• P1060108.JPG
    P1060108.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,212
  • P1060122.JPG
    P1060122.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,143
  • P1060125.JPG
    P1060125.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • P1060124.JPG
    P1060124.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • P1060121.JPG
    P1060121.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,168
  • P1060116.JPG
    P1060116.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 1,194
  • P1060115.JPG
    P1060115.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,187
  • P1060113.JPG
    P1060113.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,186
  • P1060112.JPG
    P1060112.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,197
  • P1060109.JPG
    P1060109.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,202
  • P1060107.JPG
    P1060107.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,185
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Piece of Fort Scott, Kansas History found at a garage sale in Oklahoma!

more pics.

Attachments

• P1060120.JPG
    P1060120.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,117
  • P1060114.JPG
    P1060114.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,121
  • P1060110.JPG
    P1060110.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,123

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would look over each bit and see if there was any mention or signature of famous people who were known in that area and time period.
Scott

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Daddytopcat said:
I would look over each bit and see if there was any mention or signature of famous people who were known in that area and time period.
Scott
Thanks for that suggestion, Daddytopcat! I have a problem making out some of the writting--you know back 100 years ago or so people had such beautiful penmanship, but it hard to decipher because its so different! I'll look all the papers over the best I can! kind regards, sandcreek4

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I see some papers that say "historical society" Maybe they would be interested in them, if they still exist. Looks like I also saw a bill to do something to a historical room c/o Dr. McDonald. Or get in touch with the chamer of commerce, someone will know if the building is there or if a Wallmart parking lot has taken over. :'(

Great find.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cyberdan said:
I see some papers that say "historical society" Maybe they would be interested in them, if they still exist. Looks like I also saw a bill to do something to a historical room c/o Dr. McDonald. Or get in touch with the chamer of commerce, someone will know if the building is there or if a Wallmart parking lot has taken over. :'(

Great find.
Thanks cyberdan! I googled the family name "Liepman" and found some interesting stuff(http://www.fstribune.com/story/1312477.html)
I love old history and these papers have been so much fun to read. The M. Liepman & Bro. store must have been very profitable at one time, from the looks of the cancelled checks! The old hand written papers are really cool, too. I can't make out some of the stuff written on them though, so if anyone could decipher these, I would really appreciate it! Here's a couple more of the papers that I can't read.
Thanks for looking, cyberdan! kind regards, sandcreek4

Attachments

• liepman1.jpg
    liepman1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 972
  • liepman2.jpg
    liepman2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 966

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Accoreding to Maloney's Antique Resource Directory: Kurt Krueger, Krueger Auctions in Iola, WI specializes in mail bid auctions on that type of material. Call 715-445-3845.
Collector: Joseph Loccisano of Lancaster, Penn. will buy 1850 - 1920 bill heads. Call: 717-560-5182.
Good Luck. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FLauthor said:
Accoreding to Maloney's Antique Resource Directory: Kurt Krueger, Krueger Auctions in Iola, WI specializes in mail bid auctions on that type of material. Call 715-445-3845.
Collector: Joseph Loccisano of Lancaster, Penn. will buy 1850 - 1920 bill heads. Call: 717-560-5182.
Good Luck. :coffee2:
THANKS so much, FLauthor!! I might give them a call! kind regards, sandcreek4

DMeyer8415

Apr 19, 2009

I'm certainly interested in more about this material - Morres Liepman was my g-g-grandfather. Please contact me via email - DMeyer8415 @ aol. com

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

uh the redemption was most likely for a bit of land --its says "madison square addition" * --the 1923 "glasglow "scotland" bottle labal was off a illegal bottle of booze (prohibittion*)

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
uh the redemption was most likely for a bit of land --its says "madison square addition" * --the 1923 "glasglow "scotland" bottle labal was off a illegal bottle of booze (prohibittion*)
Thanks ivan salis! I have this stuff on ebay right now(Currently its at $137.50) Its doing pretty good ;D!! It ends this evening and there seems to be lots of interest in it( 8 watchers on the auction)!!!
kind regards, sandcreek4

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DMeyer8415 said:
I'm certainly interested in more about this material - Morres Liepman was my g-g-grandfather. Please contact me via email - DMeyer8415 @ aol. com

Hmm wouldn't it be funny if this were true. Hope you find out if this is the same man. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HolyDiver said:
DMeyer8415 said:

Hmm wouldn't it be funny if this were true. Hope you find out if this is the same man. :thumbsup:
Thanks HolyDiver~~~this guy said he was going to bid on these items! He is writting his families history in the Fort Scott area.
Kind Regards,
sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
great job on that profit...
Thanks allen! It helped pay some bills :wink:!
Kind regards~sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
Did DMeyer8415 win the auction? (the guy who claimed to be related)
cyberdan~~~~Yes--his partner, who is helping him with research, bid on the items for him. They are writting the history of Jewish people in Fort Scott, Kansas. So hopefully this will be of great interest to them and help them in their endeavors!!!
The last minute of the auction, it was still at $137.50 and then 5 or 6 people started bidding on this stuff! I was amazed that it sold for $441.68!! I had lots of people emailing me with questions and lots of "watchers".
If you look on eBay under "handwritten" ,almost everything sells really well! Especially stuff like old journals or diaries, letters written during the WWII era and so on.
And so the "moral of this story" is:"DON'T PASS UP ANY HANDWRITTEN DOCUMENTS!" ;D ;D
Kind regards~~sandcreek4

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
And so the "moral of this story" is:"DON'T PASS UP ANY HANDWRITTEN DOCUMENTS!"
I have just added that to my garage sale shopping list. Many times i see boxes of papers and junk. Who knows what you will find in there. :o
thanks

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
sandcreek4 said:
And so the "moral of this story" is:"DON'T PASS UP ANY HANDWRITTEN DOCUMENTS!"
I have just added that to my garage sale shopping list. Many times i see boxes of papers and junk. Who knows what you will find in there. :o
thanks
Exactly right cyberdan! And thanks for commenting on this everyone! It encouraged me to list this on eBay and TNET ultimately helped get the word out about these things! I think the guy who bought them will enjoy having some of his ancestors old papers.
sandcreek4

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
I think the guy who bought them will enjoy having some of his ancestors old papers.
Boy, I wish I had some of my ancestors old papers, in particular a recipe that is still secret today. (great-great-great uncle) He was a famous inventor. But a bit on the shady side. Seems he sold the rights to his invention to two investors and then again to three more. Needless to say you can't sell the same thing to more than one person and everything got taken away from him. And that is why I am poor and don't live in Atlanta. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread