been doin too much yard sales lately....

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been doing too much yard sales lately & haven't been able to metal detect.

I solved the problem. :hello2: I buy pre-metal detected junk. :dontknow:

I was at a yard sale last Sat and was doing real good. I was talking to the lady sale owner and telling her what I want and she keeps pulling out silver rings and chains. She would go to another little cubby and say did I want more like this and another couple pieces of silver.

Then she told me when she was a girl she would metal detect and find rings. I told her I also do that but was too busy to do it lately. She excuses herself for a minute and comes back with a canvas bank bag that I could tell was one third full of something heavy and metal by the thud it made on her table.

I took a peek inside and realized it wasn't silver coins >:( She told me her dad and brother also metal detected many years ago and this was her dads bag of finds. He died in the 1980s and it just got put away and did I want to buy it for $10 We figured out that I had chosen over $10 worth of silver so I offered her $15.00 for everything. So I went home with 2 oz of silver and over 2 pounds of a 25 year old metal detecting grab bag.

Yesterday it took me over an hour to go through that bag. The lady didn't lie to me everything inside was 100% metal detected. What she didn't know was this was her dad's JUNK bag, stuff no one else would want. :o

The best thing in there was a silver half dime, yes a 1964 rosy that a lawn mower clipped in half. There was also probably 300 Lincolns that had the same fate or worse, some tokens and a couple of decent wheat's from the 1920's. and two silver rings. One was a Sterling cub scout ring. If there is one type of person you should never give a silver ring to is a 10 year old boy he is sure to lose it. Any way it was fun looking through someones MD rejects that were dug many years ago. The youngest cent was 1981.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread