Tiger Woods Sports Illustrated for Kids Rookie Card

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
I've been "treasure hunting" garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets for years. One of my best finds to date is the Sports Illustrated for Kids December 1996 edition, which contains a page of insert cards, one of which is the vaunted Tiger Woods rookie card. I picked this up for $.20 at a yard sale and sold it for $2,250. Knowledge is power.

Rather than reiterate all of my finds here, interested TH'ers may want to check out my article at Gomestic – "How to Make Money From Collectibles." At the end you can read about some of my other discoveries.

Read it here: http://gomestic.com/home-business/how-to-make-money-from-collectibles/

OP
OP
T

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
Yes, it's good to hear from a fellow treasure hunter who haunts garage sales, etc. I especially enjoy the flea markets where some sellers simply bring a bunch of paper stuff and let people sort through it. You can really find the treasures here. I'd be interested in hearing from other treasurenet forum members regarding their finds at flea markets, auctions, etc.

There used to be an old secondhand store near me run by an elderly gentlemen. He really did get the treasures, especially paper items. Also, about three years ago I helped a guy clean out a cubby space in a basement. He kept the old bottles and a nice candy jar (which he later sold at his flea market booth for $200) and let me keep the paper items, which were old letters, railroad tickets, etc. and even paid me for my time to boot.

I've written quite a bit about collectibles – both online and in print. I'm not going to deluge the forum with my articles, but here's one on "The World's Most Valuable Magazines" TH'ers might enjoy. A list of other helpful articles can be glimpsed by clicking my byline at the article below. Maybe it will help someone make that "big score!"

http://quazen.com/recreation/collecting/the-worlds-most-valuable-magazines/

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talos said:
I've been "treasure hunting" garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets for years. One of my best finds to date is the Sports Illustrated for Kids December 1996 edition, which contains a page of insert cards, one of which is the vaunted Tiger Woods rookie card. I picked this up for $.20 at a yard sale and sold it for $2,250. Knowledge is power.

Rather than reiterate all of my finds here, interested TH'ers may want to check out my article at Gomestic – "How to Make Money From Collectibles." At the end you can read about some of my other discoveries.

Read it here: http://gomestic.com/home-business/how-to-make-money-from-collectibles/
Way to go!! That's a great find and awesome info to share I'll keep my eyes open for that one!!!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one that I found awhile back at a garage sale,I bought a KISS record that was still sealed in plastic/shrinkwrap,and inside it came with Kiss tattoo's,from there I sold it to a guy at a record show for $200.00. :headbang: :hello2:

OP
OP
T

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
Produce Guy said:
Here's one that I found awhile back at a garage sale,I bought a KISS record that was still sealed in plastic/shrinkwrap,and inside it came with Kiss tattoo's,from there I sold it to a guy at a record show for $200.00. :headbang: :hello2:

Yes, SS (still sealed) LP albums are the holy grail for record collectors. I found a bunch from the late 1960s and early '70s as unsold stock in a variety store. They were worth from $20-25 each. I paid like $.50 to $1 each.

Keep the finds coming...

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
Talos said:

If its worth that much, I better dig up all my old magazines! When i was little I used to get that magazine, and still have all the issues with the cards in them. Now I just have to find them. ;D

OP
OP
T

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
Hopefully, the Tiger Woods issue still is, but I'm not sure how much his recent troubles have affected values. His being off the PGA Tour indefinitely won't help. If you're a Tiger Woods memorabilia investor, pray for a Tiger reconciliation with his wife Elin and hope he gets back to golf ASAP.

If you have the SI for Kids issues, keep the cards intact and don't try to remove them. They do remove and grade individual cards, but that's for the experts. Condition of the cards is paramount.

OP
OP
T

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
Not much in the way of recent finds. But here's a tip: look inside those old books page by page. You'd be surprised what people use for bookmarks: paper currency, old sports schedules (found an old St. Louis Browns one worth some money), old movie tickets, paper cereal premiums, etc. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread