American Eagles Gold Bullion Coins

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I post at the Coin Roll Hunting Forum and this is the first time I post here.

I am a Coin Roll Hunter and a fellow CRH told me to post this here.

I found yesterday 2 American Eagles Gold Bullion Coins 1oz each.

Purchased the two of them for $120.

I returned them today and explained the owner what they were really worth.

I got my $120 Back

See the CRH forum for more details

Darth Walker

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to tell that I found the coins at a garage sale

DW

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I gotta tell you, you are nicer than I am..........

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Ya know, I am a nice enough guy, but if I were at a sale and found two gold eagles for sale for $120 I would consider the person who sold them $120 richer and happy they got their asking price...and me? Well I'd say I made one helluva profit.
You must be far better of financially than I am.
~Nash~

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Must of felt good to find a deal like that, would of made my heart go thump really hard... :icon_thumright: :hello2: :icon_thumleft: It is not easyee doing what you did returning the coins, I have the same problem takeing advantage of people. I cant do it,,,,Im not gonna blow smoke and say im just an out and out do-gooder,,,cause im not. But I can pick and choose what I do right or wrong and i do with relish,,, In this day an age of ebay and on line auctions, and research at your finget tips.....If someone is selling something at a reduced price as you spoke of. Then they dont have the means to do research, or the smarts...either way----------You did a great thing----- Hopefully someday what ever the case might be,, the favor will be returned to you in your time of need.
Mike

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
backitup83 said:
Must of felt good to find a deal like that, would of made my heart go thump really hard... :icon_thumright: :hello2: :icon_thumleft: It is not easyee doing what you did returning the coins, I have the same problem takeing advantage of people. I cant do it,,,,Im not gonna blow smoke and say im just an out and out do-gooder,,,cause im not. But I can pick and choose what I do right or wrong and i do with relish,,, In this day an age of ebay and on line auctions, and research at your finget tips.....If someone is selling something at a reduced price as you spoke of. Then they dont have the means to do research, or the smarts...either way----------You did a great thing----- Hopefully someday what ever the case might be,, the favor will be returned to you in your time of need.
Mike

I will say point made and I see what you are saying... but feeling just a bit insulted by it, let me ask you this.

If I were to go into a Thrift store and find an antique cookie jar worth, lets say a grand, and buy it for $7...Am I taking advantage of someone, or am I patronizing a place that sells things, sometimes great things, at very affordable prices? If I go to a garage sale and find a Ruby ring worth thousands of dollars and look at the person selling it, who happens to drive a $75,000 Mercedes, and ask them if they are SURE they want to sell it for $2, and they say yes, Am I a horrible person for buying it? Shall I start asking everyone who has a smoking deal at a garage sale if they researched the item because what they want $3 for is actually worth forty, or what they want $40 may be worth $4000? Well here is the deal....The woman who sold me the ruby ring had both the access and the "smarts", as you phrased it, to know precisely what she had. After all, she is STILL the manger of a jewelry store. :dontknow: Why she sold it to me for that price, I can't say, but maybe it was Gods way of providing some food and shelter for my family in these hard economic times....a far better concept to me, than being judged for supposedly taking advantage of anyone. My morals are very strong, as is my integrity, and I always strive to make this world a better place.

Let God be my judge, not anyone else.. and if these things are wrong, I guess I may burn in hell because I have gotten these sorts of deals and better!!! God willing I will continue to do so.

God bless and have a good day.
~Nash~

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Nashoba said:
backitup83 said:
Mike

I will say point made and I see what you are saying... but feeling just a bit insulted by it, let me ask you this.

If I were to go into a Thrift store and find an antique cookie jar worth, lets say a grand, and buy it for $7...Am I taking advantage of someone, or am I patronizing a place that sells things, sometimes great things, at very affordable prices? If I go to a garage sale and find a Ruby ring worth thousands of dollars and look at the person selling it, who happens to drive a $75,000 Mercedes, and ask them if they are SURE they want to sell it for $2, and they say yes, Am I a horrible person for buying it? Shall I start asking everyone who has a smoking deal at a garage sale if they researched the item because what they want $3 for is actually worth forty, or what they want $40 may be worth $4000? Well here is the deal....The woman who sold me the ruby ring had both the access and the "smarts", as you phrased it, to know precisely what she had. After all, she is STILL the manger of a jewelry store. :dontknow: Why she sold it to me for that price, I can't say, but maybe it was Gods way of providing some food and shelter for my family in these hard economic times....a far better concept to me, than being judged for supposedly taking advantage of anyone. My morals are very strong, as is my integrity, and I always strive to make this world a better place.

Let God be my judge, not anyone else.. and if these things are wrong, I guess I may burn in hell because I have gotten these sorts of deals and better!!! God willing I will continue to do so.

~Nash~

I have met few that have a bigger heart to help others than you Nash and I pray God blesses you with many other opportunities in the future. It is not as if you went out with the purpose of taking advantage of someone, saw something they had and offered them far less than what it is worth. They made the offer, you accepted it and even confirmed that is what they wanted. I say you made a good deal! :icon_thumleft:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nashoba said:
backitup83 said:
Mike

~Nash~
I'm with you Nashoba.

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
,Im not gonna blow smoke and say im just an out and out do-gooder,,,cause im not. But I can pick and choose what I do right or wrong in mine eyes and i do so with relish. No insult intended-Why I would of done exactly what you did. As for the rest of the questions-Answer-i would of done exactly as you would of done. And as far as going to hell--my spot is reserved I do belive- I don't belive I was judgeing you-if you were in any way shape or form-insulted--it was of no intintion of mine to do so-- I can rake the best of them over the coals-exspeally the ones that appear to need it. But for the life of me can't bring my self to take advantage of someone who is just trying to get by. A Jeweler does not fall into that catagory. A book bought at a yard sale with a thousand dollars stuffed in it does-unless she has a 75000 dollar car sitting in her 500000 dollar home-granted those figures are not set in stone-on the car or the house-
I do see your point also and am takeing responsibility for what I wrote-your point is well taken and I will be awary of them in my future responses to yours or other's post.
Thank you for your response and have a good day--and should we meet in hell I'll bring a spare detector if for nothing more than spare parts.
Mike

R

rig runner09

that was an amazing find did you take any pic of them before you return them ? and you did a good thing if it look like the family was selling items to pay Bills-feed the family but if there was a 300,000 dollar home and a 50,000 dollar suv-car setting in the driveway shame on you !

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
OOOps I see what happened..I offended some one else besides the poster. ~Nash~ and Cynangyl -------Wow!!!! Sorry guys, didnt mean to step on your toes,,,im not judging you nor the poster of this thread. What you choose to do in a situation is your decision and yours alone. Had you written the orignal post, saying I just purchased coins at a reduced price-----I would of been happy for you...But I responded to some one who did something else and I was just as happy for him also. As far as for you being insulted, naaaa not my intention. for that im sorry-and I said it earlier that i will watch my replys in the future and try not to put the wrong idea across..And as for the yound lady whom backed you up..I didnt mean to offend her either. Im sure you are both very fine people and she thinks very highly of you,,
My post was not directed at you,nor was your post taken into consideration when I wrote mine..I wrote mine from within me..how I am and how I do things..you put yours out there for everone to see just as I did...I just blanketed mine with less information--i would like to take this moment to re-say- I am a no goody two shoes--you and I both have morals most likely pretty close to the same ones..and what makes this country so great is---you and I can pick and choose just what they are. I fault you not for your short commings,,,please dont fault me for mine.
And the examples you gave for thrift stores and the ring and reduced price stuff,well there is where i pick and choose...My choice on what I would do would be close to what you would do..back to the orignal post with the information given im guessing there was a reason he returned them, and im pretty sure if i saw what he saw then i would return them also...
Sorry you two I didnt mean to offend you or judge you or make you feel slighted in any way, or least of all- give you the feeling that i think im better than you,, I do stand behind my praise for the one who returned the coins in my eyes that was a very nobile thing to do......at the same time had someone not took them back because she had a big house and fancy car,and other income i would also stand behind my praise there..for not returning them...what I would do and what you would do may not always match,but it does not mean that I look at your post and think- oh what a bad person--not the case - and i would be the last person to pass judgment on someone --and i dont make it a habit of being insulting either...my bad
Have a great day..thank you for the response I will check my writings from now on
Mike

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
backitup83 said:
OOOps I see what happened..I offended some one else besides the poster. ~Nash~ and Cynangyl -------Wow!!!! Sorry guys, didnt mean to step on your toes,,,im not judging you nor the poster of this thread. What you choose to do in a situation is your decision and yours alone. Had you written the orignal post, saying I just purchased coins at a reduced price-----I would of been happy for you...But I responded to some one who did something else and I was just as happy for him also. As far as for you being insulted, naaaa not my intention. for that im sorry-and I said it earlier that i will watch my replys in the future and try not to put the wrong idea across..And as for the yound lady whom backed you up..I didnt mean to offend her either. Im sure you are both very fine people and she thinks very highly of you,,
My post was not directed at you,nor was your post taken into consideration when I wrote mine..I wrote mine from within me..how I am and how I do things..you put yours out there for everone to see just as I did...I just blanketed mine with less information--i would like to take this moment to re-say- I am a no goody two shoes--you and I both have morals most likely pretty close to the same ones..and what makes this country so great is---you and I can pick and choose just what they are. I fault you not for your short commings,,,please dont fault me for mine.
And the examples you gave for thrift stores and the ring and reduced price stuff,well there is where i pick and choose...My choice on what I would do would be close to what you would do..back to the orignal post with the information given im guessing there was a reason he returned them, and im pretty sure if i saw what he saw then i would return them also...
Sorry you two I didnt mean to offend you or judge you or make you feel slighted in any way, or least of all- give you the feeling that i think im better than you,, I do stand behind my praise for the one who returned the coins in my eyes that was a very nobile thing to do......at the same time had someone not took them back because she had a big house and fancy car,and other income i would also stand behind my praise there..for not returning them...what I would do and what you would do may not always match,but it does not mean that I look at your post and think- oh what a bad person--not the case - and i would be the last person to pass judgment on someone --and i dont make it a habit of being insulting either...my bad
Have a great day..thank you for the response I will check my writings from now on
Mike

Hey Mike....No problem my friend. I was merely saying that their are different ways to looks at things. The original poster here did what he deemed right, and for that I would never say he did the wrong thing. Not in a million years. He did what he felt was right and I give him kudos for it as well.
Obviously he and I go to garage sales for different reasons. I happen to be a garage and estate sale maniac, and it is those special deals that keep me going back. And by that I don't mean by taking advantage of anyone. Like I said, times are hard here and work very very scarce. If I had made that purchase, the money from the profit would have gone to feed my family and help shelter them. Simple as that.

I certainly didn't mean any disrespect to you or the person who originally posted this thread....Just stating a personal opinion and now I feel like I highjacked the mans thread.

For that I APOLOGIZE SINCERELY. SORRY DARTH!

Take care all and Happy New year.

~Nash~

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
I buy stuff to make money. Anytime I buy I am buying for less than the item is worth. I don't care how much of a discount I get I am not returning it unless their is some extremely strange circumstances that really tug at my heart strings.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow I missed this post when it came up. Here's my 2 cents...being that I'm from Arkansas, you'd be lucky to get 1 cent for it! ;D

I think Darth made a VERY generous gesture in returning the coins!! HUGELY (is that a word?) generous!! I don't think I could have done the same. Would Darth be a bad person by NOT returning the coins? ABSOLUTELY not. It is 100% the seller's responsibility to know what they have and what its worth before selling anything. Just like all these "$$ for gold" commercials you see on TV and even the people travelling around promising "top dollar" for your gold and silver (and of course they pay WAY below spot). Are they ripping people off? NOT IN THE LEAST. No one is forced to sell. They're offered a price and have the ability to say no. If they don't know what their items are worth, then they shouldn't sell...and dang sure shouldn't claim to have been "ripped off" after the fact if they chose to do so and realize they could have gotten a better deal.

Just my opinion.

Spartacus

Aug 17, 2007
Funny thing, but after watching "Pawn Stars" on the history station; it was brought to my attention that the American Eagle coin is one always subject to being a counterfeit. As many said, a price was set and agreed upon so you would have done no wrong. On roadshow antiques a man bought a picture that may have been of the Wright Brothers for $40 on e-bay, that photo is worth between $3500-4000. I don't see making any purchase as taking advantage of the buyer, you have to do your homework.. Happy hunting

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just have to say - if you are not looking for a bargain, you wouldn't be going to yard sales (yes, I love yard sales and absolute auctions).

That's why people GO to yard sales - I'm just never going to be in the habit of offering more than what is being asked - for anything, whether its a chair, or a coin.

If you want to pay full price for something, you go to a store.

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread