turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question. Does anyone know of any good site for id'ing Chinese Chop Marks?

I purchased 9 pieces of Chinese art VERY reasonably and all appear to be original and from the 1950's or before. All 9 are similar. I now have the fun of trying to id them.

Any help will be appreciated. Below are some pics of one of the images. The last pic has been adjusted to make the mark easier to see. I can't tell if it is on paper of cloth. It looks almost like it has a VERY tight weave. I also think that these are in their original frame. On the back is has:

Holland Frame Shop
1025 First Avenue
New York 22
PLaza 3-7758

Thanks,
Doug

Chineseprint001.jpg

Chineseprint002.jpg

Chineseprint003.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turtlefoot13 said:
Does anyone know of any good site for id'ing Chinese Chop Marks?
I thought the word chop marks was only used on trade coins from the early 1900's.

I may be wrong but these are signitures rubber stamped into the the art (actually carved ivory stamps) I see you are in NY go to china town over by little italy. Look for an old "herbal" type shop. This is probably an older style "alphabet" that an older person could only read. I don't know Chinese, so sorry. If this was Japanese I know people who could help. (there are only 4 alphabets in Japanese)

mclabc1

Jun 14, 2010
Sorry, not sure how to post a new question.
I have an old chop I am trying to date, I think late 1800's, early 1900's. I am hoping the style of the lettering will help to date it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,636
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,764
  • DSC00015.JPG
    DSC00015.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,586
S

stefen

cyberdan said:
turtlefoot13 said:
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it. Now to figure out the artist... ???
I figuered it out, reads right to left & top to bottom

CHA
REE
CHAN

Partially right...try:
WON
HUN
LO

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know about yours. I still haven't found any information about mine. Every site online that I have been on is either a dead end or "no relpy" on emails. Good luck. If you get yours id's please post on here where you got it done.

Doug

steelsoldier

Feb 14, 2009
Raleigh NC
Cyberdan is right, chopmarks are the countermarks on the coins - mostly pre 1900s. the best reference for that is a 1980s book by F. M. Rose - Chopmarks - sometimes shows up at online auctions... Red ones are the signature of the artist very hard to identify... but overall a very beautiful piece...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread