Silver at an Estate Sale

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've been lurking here for quite a while, thought it was time for a post. I'm not much of a detectorist but I hit the sales pretty hard.

I went to an estate sale this morning, it was packed. I asked the guy at the door if they had any sterling & where it was. He pointed towards a room so I headed over there. First thing I saw was my main competition finishing up weighing a coffee/tea set. It was obvious he wasn't buying so I asked him what the deal was. Turns out it was 100 ounces but they were asking $3600. Way overpriced.

I looked around the room & didn't see anything besides silver plate so I wandered off to check out the rest of the house. Lots of stuff but nothing I could make a dollar on. I thought I'd take another look at the 100 ounce set before I left so I went back to that room. As soon as I came in I saw a cream & sugar set that wasn't there the first time.

It was on the other side of a really large table with a guy eyeing it. He picked it up & checked out the bottom, then put it down. I did the boarding house reach & snatched it up. No idea why the guy put it down, it was clearly marked sterling with a $5 price tag for the set. I ended up with 16 troy ounces of sterling for around 32 cents an ounce.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
clearly a "pricing" error at $5 -- they most likely thought it was silver plate , rather than sterling --their goof --your sharp eye .

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Sterling seems to be one of the most often over priced things at "estatesales." On those rare occassions when it is undervalued,
"the boarding house reach & snatching it up," is the move to make!.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I see a lot of overpriced sterling everywhere, seems like some people think it's worth more than gold. There are 2 sets of people locally that run estate sales & I know them both. Both sets hold an invitation only sale before they open to the general public. I can generally pick up the silver that is priced right at the invitation sale. On the second day of the public sale they cut prices by 50%, which generally lets me pick up the overpriced sterling.

The estate sale I picked up this sterling at was 45 minutes away, where I didn't know the people having it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread