Mystery declaration of independence

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a second hand store and after years of investigation I still can not figure out just what it is? It has words that are uncorrected. T's that are not crossed, and the ones that are, are crossed short. In the regular one T's are crossed long. Even the signatures have a few that are different then original. It definitely is a rough copy, but one I have never seen before. Measures 16.5" X 21". Any experts around? There are a few things that are a mystery to me concerning the published declaration. One of them is why would learned men such as Ben Franklen, publish a document with corrections added to it? I would think that an official government document would be perfect!

The word ONLY between lines is on original. On mine it is missing.

Another thing that I find a little strange is that Franklin signed his name (from official site) B Franklin. Then why on the document is it signed, Benj A Franklin? Did he only use one signing for official business and the other for every day signing? Or did someone else sign for him?

Attachments

• B Franklin Signature.png
    B Franklin Signature.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • second hand store declaration 1.JPG
    second hand store declaration 1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 923
  • O only added.JPG
    O only added.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 869
  • mine Only missing.JPG
    mine Only missing.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 868
  • Mine tobe no crossed T.JPG
    Mine tobe no crossed T.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 866
  • O tobe crossed.JPG
    O tobe crossed.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 876
    B Franklin Signature.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Ben Franklin.JPG
    Ben Franklin.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 6,614
    B Franklin Signature.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,159

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
does the paper have some kind of watermark that dates it back to the seventeen hundreds. That would be my first place I looked.
K smith

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had it out of the frame. I do not see a watermark through the front of the paper.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the document mounted to a matt board? I see a parchment type of paper with either shadow lines or printed border. If shadow lines the outer border is a matt board. If there is a printed border is the parchment color also printed?

My first recommendation is take it to a local university professor that teaches US history. Just see what he has to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread