Two rolls of wheat pennies (estate sale)

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSC00170.JPG
    DSC00170.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,048
  • DSC00171.JPG
    DSC00171.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,034

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may have been a special year for the person, newborn, perhaps a marriage anything. maybe they wanted to start collecting new coins from that time going forward :dontknow: I hope you didn't pay more than a dollar for them either.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
That may have been a special year for the person, newborn, perhaps a marriage anything. maybe they wanted to start collecting new coins from that time going forward :dontknow: I hope you didn't pay more than a dollar for them either.

Unfortuantly I paid $1.50 for each roll, unaware they were all one date. Working on filling the wheat pennie coin book. Mistake of a newby.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Hey Beans...there are roll collectors. It is not uncommon.

Good find

Learned a little bit today. Feel better about the purchase. Thanks

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello, Excellent find :icon_thumleft: 1958 was the last year for the wheat penny because 1959 was the first memorial cent. They probably thought that fact alone would make them highly collectible. They look to be uncirculated, so I think you did great :headbang: Keep at it :icon_sunny: Paul :coffee2:

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I think you did just fine for two uncirculated rolls. If you sell on ebay or even to a local dealer as a roll you should make a little.

If you want to devote the time and energy, you could probably sell them on ebay as singles in for $2-$5 apiece, depending on the buyer and the overall look/grade of the coin.

In going through them if you find any with very minimal marks and no ugly toning it might be worth slabbing.

PCGS price guide currently list 1958 MS-67 at $2,600.00 and the 1958-D MS-67 at $950.00. Not many make that grade but you never know. If the coin has a clean cheek and clean fields I think it would be worth a shot. Just use a strong loop and if you find a super coin get a reputable dealer's opinion.
Their are also numerous repunched mint marks and double dies for those dates including a very valuable one that lists for six figures. You never know till you look.

Great buy!!! I would have jumped all over that for $3.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.

I went through about 1/3 of the row shown in the picture most all were in excellent shape. The other row I could not get the coins out of the plastic. I pulled off the tape that had the estate sale price, found where the original owner had taped a piece of paper on it marked 1958-p brill u?c. I think the missing letter is n for uncirculated. So I guess I will carefully go thru them and see if there are any errors.

Just for fyi, the lady who worked the coin and jewery table flirted with me while I was looking (at the coins), when I got home I found an extra 1926 mercury dime in the bag the coins were put in.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beans said:
when I got home I found an extra 1926 mercury dime in the bag the coins were put in.
silver value on the merc $1.33, minus the $3 you paid = 83¢ per roll
you did good. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread