Tiffany pottery vase update-appraised at Antiques Roadshow!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a Tiffany Pottery vase. I think it's called pea pods. Tiffany made pottery for a short time back around the turn of the 20th century. It's marked LCT and has some numbers and letters etched on the underside also.

UPDATE- REPLY NO.10 has a link for the video at the show.

tiffany 2.jpg tiffany1.jpg

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tiffany pottery vase

This piece will be going to the "Antiques Roadshow" in Miami Fl. on July 10,2010, I will update this post at that time.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the rest of the story on this piece of Tiffany- First of all it's not my piece, it belongs to my bro-in-law. He found it in a thrift store. He paid a whopping .99 for it, I mean look at it, it is kind of ugly. Kind of looks like a kids school project. Anyway the vase was appraised at $5-6000 and dates to 1904.He was also one of the lucky ones chosen to be on 1 of the 3 episodes they are taping that will be aired in January of 2011. Just goes to show that you can still find treasures at the local Goodwill if you look hard enough.

C

Cappy Z.

WOW!

...I just wish it was...yours....ouch...

But great story! Thanks for posting!

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome story! My dream is to buy something at resale and find out it is something really valuable. The Roadshow is a blast! I took an old painting that nobody really liked just to see if it had any value. It belonged to my sister, via my grandmother. Turned out to be worth $25,000! And I got to be on tv as well! Congrats on the great $.99 find!

Attachments

• cow picture3.jpg
    cow picture3.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 3,214
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baylorhall said:
That is an awesome story! My dream is to buy something at resale and find out it is something really valuable. The Roadshow is a blast! I took an old painting that nobody really liked just to see if it had any value. It belonged to my sister, via my grandmother. Turned out to be worth $25,000! And I got to be on tv as well! Congrats on the great $.99 find!
I remember that painting! That's too cool. Funny thing is I put in for tickets online back in March and I entered my wifes brother (Sonny) too at the same time. Just my luck (or his luck and my lack thereof) he was picked and I wasn't. I didn't mind though, because I don't have anything that rare anyway. However, if I got the tickets I would have been taking his vase for him and I would have been the one on TV. There went my 15 minutes of fame (LOL). I talked with Sonny this morning and he said there was a husband and wife there with a mobile made by a famous artist (he didn't get the name) and it turned out the estimated worth was between 600k and 1 million dollars. He was in the green room waiting to tape his segment and he said the lady's husband was in there in tears because they had no idea of the value of their object. That's what makes the Roadshow so great.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, we traveled to San Antonio a few years ago to take the painting. We knew it was old, but couldn't read the artist's name. It was from my grandmother's old house in Corpus Christi, so we figured it wasn't anything big. I tried to get tickets when they came to Dallas last year, but wasn't lucky enough. I will look for the vase and the mobile when they come on next year. You just never know!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope to see that updated post on the evening of 7/10.. I would love to see what a great score was made for $0.99 cents :headbang:

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
I hope to see that updated post on the evening of 7/10.. I would love to see what a great score was made for $0.99 cents :headbang:
Are you drinking irish :coffee2: or something? :icon_scratch: :read2:

diggummup said:
Here's the rest of the story on this piece of Tiffany- First of all it's not my piece, it belongs to my bro-in-law. He found it in a thrift store. He paid a whopping .99 for it, I mean look at it, it is kind of ugly. Kind of looks like a kids school project. Anyway the vase was appraised at $5-6000 and dates to 1904.He was also one of the lucky ones chosen to be on 1 of the 3 episodes they are taping that will be aired in January of 2011. Just goes to show that you can still find treasures at the local Goodwill if you look hard enough.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a matter of fact I was :laughing7: I didn't realize the date, and just breezed past the other post, so I missed the gravy train. Not as bad investment :icon_thumleft:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to both of you on the antiques road show... WELL DONE... now thats a truly awesome find on both of ya... who woulda thunk? is he keeping the vase?

are you keeping the painting? I love to hear stories like this.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
to both of you on the antiques road show... WELL DONE... now thats a truly awesome find on both of ya... who woulda thunk? is he keeping the vase?

are you keeping the painting? I love to hear stories like this.
Yes he's keeping the vase. :thumbsup: If it was me... it'd already be gone. :laughing7:

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The painting was sent to an art gallery in Ohio on consignment. It sold the first day it was out!

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos To all involved! Great Story
thanks for sharing! :laughing9:
Diggumup I am with you!! :laughing7: Cash it in and do something else a nice cruise!!
Or a new toy!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I talked with Sonny this morning and he said there was a husband and wife there with a mobile made by a famous artist (he didn't get the name) and it turned out the estimated worth was between 600k and 1 million dollars.
Could his name have been Gil Houli (spelling is wrong) curly hair and an eye patch. His mobiles are worth a fortune.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
cyberdan said:
diggummup said:
I talked with Sonny this morning and he said there was a husband and wife there with a mobile made by a famous artist (he didn't get the name) and it turned out the estimated worth was between 600k and 1 million dollars.
Could his name have been Gil Houli (spelling is wrong) curly hair and an eye patch. His mobiles are worth a fortune.
yeah I seen that one... dang thing looked like a bunch of broken an twisted clothes hangers knotted together... don't remember the guy's name either.... they said this guy invented the mobile in the 1960's

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
diggummup said:
His name was Alexander Calder. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread