question about silver jewelry for you experts

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
that is exactly what that means....it is also called "vermeil".....gold plated silver

do a google search on vermeil and look at the wikipedia definiton and that will answer any questions you may have

OP
OP
L

Lucky Jack

Jul 31, 2007
Thanks Marty, but the article on Wikipedia didn't mention the mark "HCT 925". It's not that I don't trust that gold plating silver is a common practice but I'd like to know what the "HCT" stands for.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here is what HCT stands for. :'( Sorry none have to do with silver :'(

HCT Hydrochlorothiazide
HCT Hematocrit
HCT Higher Colleges of Technology (United Arab Emirates)
HCT Hardware Compatibility Tests
HCT Hamburger Computertage (Messe)
HCT Home Comfort Team (Syncro Weld, Inc.)
HCT Hollow Clay Tile
HCT Mercury Cadmium Telluride (HgCdTe)
HCT Hall Current Thruster
HCT High-Capacity Transport (Nortel)
HCT Helicopter Combat Support Training Squadron
HCT Hawker Control Team (Hong Kong)
HCT Helical Computerized Tomography (scanning)
HCT High-Speed CMOS with TTL output (aka HCMOS)
HCT Hyundai Calibration & Certification Technologies Co Ltd (South Korea)
HCT High Clutter Tracker (radar)
HCT Hub City Transit
HCT Hartford City Taxi (Hartford, WI)
HCT Human Intelligence Collection Team (US DoD)

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
On Monday, April 17, 1989, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for HCT. This trademark is owned by Harcourt, Inc., 6277 Sea Harbor Drive, Orlando, FL 32887. Trademarkia.com is a free search engine of publicly available government records. Trademarkia.com is not a law firm and does not represent owners & correspondents listed on this page.

The correspondent listed for HCT is RONALD PETER ROMAN, ESQ. of SEMET, LICKSTEIN, MORGENSTERN & BERGER, 201 ALHAMBRA CIRCLE, 12TH FLOOR CORAL GABLES, FL 33134 . The HCT trademark is filed in the category of Jewelery Products . The description provided to the USPTO for HCT is JEWELRY.
The USPTO has given the HCT trademark serial number of 73793898. The current federal status of this trademark filing is CANCELLED - SECTION 8.

Trademarkia is the largest search engine for U.S. trademarks. Each month hundreds of trademarks around the world are filed by licensed attorneys in the Trademarkia network! You can register your trademark in 55 countries in the world through Trademarkia.

http://www.trademarkia.com/hct-73793898.html

OP
OP
L

Lucky Jack

Jul 31, 2007
So can I assume from this information that any jewlery that's stamped 925 is sterling silver regardless of it's color (gold, silver, copper, black etc.) and that the "HCT" is only a makers mark or trade mark of some kind?

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
exactly.....although you DO have to watch out for some china 925 that is actually only about 40%....you can usually check that with a magnet.... but for the most part if it is stamped .925 then it is silver regardless of color

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Lucky Jack said:
So can I assume from this information that any jewlery that's stamped 925 is sterling silver regardless of it's color (gold, silver, copper, black etc.) and that the "HCT" is only a makers mark or trade mark of some kind?

I got burned on a bracelet marked 925 Italy. Sometimes counterfeit looks great - black patina and all. Acid testing silver is very easy and inexpensive. I'll either discreetly test it before buying, or immediately after to return instantly if it's fake.

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
batcap said:
Lucky Jack said:

I got burned on a bracelet marked 925 Italy. Sometimes counterfeit looks great - black patina and all. Acid testing silver is very easy and inexpensive. I'll either discreetly test it before buying, or immediately after to return instantly if it's fake.

Did your Italy marks have the standard 925 in a oval ? 80-90% of our italy silver and gold plate silver ive had has had the 925 in a oval and it has not been fake .

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tested and turned down 3 pieces marked 925 Italy (can't remember if there was an ovel or not) all looked like high quality gold but marked 925.
All tested as a base metal on my electronic tester. The guy said they were his mothers and all bought on Home Shopping Network many years ago. If they had any silver in them it was a small percentage.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Nightowl 280 said:
batcap said:
Lucky Jack said:

Did your Italy marks have the standard 925 in a oval ? 80-90% of our italy silver and gold plate silver ive had has had the 925 in a oval and it has not been fake .

I don't remember the if there was an oval or not on that particular bracelet. Thanks for the tip though.

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
cyberdan said:
I just tested and turned down 3 pieces marked 925 Italy (can't remember if there was an ovel or not) all looked like high quality gold but marked 925.
All tested as a base metal on my electronic tester. The guy said they were his mothers and all bought on Home Shopping Network many years ago. If they had any silver in them it was a small percentage.

did you scrape the plating off ? most HSN should be real marks . Its possible the plating was a base metal

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
cyberdan said:

I'm interested in moving up from acid testing to electronic testing. I should probably start a new thread unless you know one where it's all been said?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nightowl 280 said:
did you scrape the plating off ? most HSN should be real marks . Its possible the plating was a base metal
I always use my jewelrs file on anything that is large enough to file (no very fine chains) My tests read about 260 to 300 for silver. The reading I got (if I remember right) were all under 200. (I am thinking 120 to 180)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread