The Thrill of the Buy Low / Sell High Game

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
I am 25, graduated college in 2007 with some considerable financial debt... despite having a somewhat good job the 900 dollars a month that I have to write out for my undergrad education takes my decent job and essentially forces me to live paycheck to paycheck. Two years ago I considered a part time job, then realized working on the weekends and nights on top of my 50 hr job would just suck. For some reason, I have an eye for things and a good head on my shoulders when it comes to the value of items. I decided to set up a small eBay operation and avoid a parttime job. I figured, if I can make 100+ a week then my efforts on eBay would equate to a part time job.

The method to my madness is incredibly simple. The first and best places I check out are various TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and my favorite (a Boston local) Building 19. They are certainly hit or miss but if you take your time inside (at least an hour) and comb through every size (as people tend to either hide or just throw whatever they don't want whereever they feel like it) you find gems. Some months I only make small gains, but small gains add up. Best part of the process is the following... I set up a Credit Card with Chase Rewards for this "business" alone. If the items don't sell on eBay (I usually start the auction around what I paid for the item) then I simply return the items and the credit is taken care of. I still get rewards points regardless of how long the charge stays on the cards account, thats a great deal. I love hitting up the local outlets like coach and other high end stores and turning a 50 dollar profit on each item. I wish I could do this full time!

My biggest sale as of yet were a pair of Montreal Canadiens Pro Stock pants (direct from their locker room). I paid 125 at a local shop who happens to get in random items , final ebay price was 397.00, that was a thrill.

OP
OP
D

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
whoops, forgot to add my garage sale finds

"Vintage" Hartmann Belting Leather Attache - paid 2 dollars, then paid 5 at walmart for a leather cream... sold on ebay for 150.00

1949 Plymouth Radio, pulled from a random model... paid 4 dollars sold on ebay (after cleaning chrome for a few hours) for 100 bucks

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with ya. I do the same as far as Ebay goes. I make a couple hundred extra each week on yard sale "junk" that I find. I'lll talk more later, right now I gotta go to work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread