How valuable is " 1/20 Gold Filled" jewelry?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How valuable is " 1/20 Gold Filled" jewelry?

What is meant by 1/20 Gold Filled?

I bought a Walking Liberty half-dollar necklace with a bezel and rope necklace that are marked with that term. Apparently this item has a gold plated Walking Liberty and the eagle on the reverse covered with glass on both sides, and was sold back in the 1970's.

Paid $10 for it in its case.

Just don't know about gold filled.

Thanks.

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
Re: How valuable is " 1/20 Gold Filled" jewelry?

Term "gold filled" applies only to items composed of a layer of gold pressed (not alloyed) onto a base metal where the weight of the gold comprises at least 1/20th of the total weight of the item. Fineness must be shown by stamp, e.g. "1/20 12 k G.F." means the gold layer is 12 karat gold and comprises 1/20th of the total weight of the item. Got it?

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

S

stefen

Simple and precise Readers Digest explanation... :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Think of it as gold paint and you get a true meaning of its value.

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker

Gold leaf is usually a bit thicker than Gold plate.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
Think of it as gold paint and you get a true meaning of its value.
please send me all you have, I will take that worthless junk. :icon_pirat:

actually I have a load at ARA right now. They have a minimum of 500 grams to do GF. A few months ago when gold was around $1100 oz I calculated I would gross $1 per gram.

All the gold is on the outside so if there is any wear the gold is first to go. I did this as an experiment to take an average of what to expect in return on used (simi-worn) GF. I am guessing 3-5% less $$ do to wear of the gold.

I have been buying and saving GF for over a year to get 500 gr. total cost $165 and I am expecting a check for $500 + in a few days. (I try to pay around 25¢ per gram of GF, remember watchbands and old eyeglasses have plactic and steel that need to be torn off and not bought at 25¢ gr.)

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois

Well the walking liberty half is worth $7.50 in silver, so you at least have that much value.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last night I posted this on the PRECIOUS METALS forum
hope this helps.
====================================

I am disappointed in the payout! That's my report!

First I have to say I trust my refinery to payout on what they got. My refinery is ARA and they have always come right in where I thought they would.

ARA has a minimum requirement on refining gold filled. It is 500 grams. It took me over one year to accumulate that much, one piece at a time.

I sent in exactly 500 grams and based on my calculations I expected $556 but I only got $349. I wrote a spreadsheet that formulated on the gold fraction (1/20 or whatever) and the mark (12K or whatever) and the weight in grams. For most of the year I calculated I would get about $1 per gram. Everybody knows that a 14K ring is really 13.5 or even less. You just can't trust jewelry manufacturers. I guess that holds true for GF makers too. Also, because GF only has precious metals on the outside and most GF is older any wear at all wears off the gold.

So what I have done is adjusted my spreadsheet to show a 38% discount because that is how much it is off. Next year, when I send in another batch I think I will be closer on the numbers.

By the way that 500 grams of GF only cost me $131 so I still made good.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RevJoel said:
Term "gold filled" applies only to items composed of a layer of gold pressed (not alloyed) onto a base metal where the weight of the gold comprises at least 1/20th of the total weight of the item. Fineness must be shown by stamp, e.g. "1/20 12 k G.F." means the gold layer is 12 karat gold and comprises 1/20th of the total weight of the item. Got it?

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Yes, you explained it very well. Thank you for your help!
Bill

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cyberdan said:
hope this helps.

First I have to say I trust my refinery to payout on what they got. My refinery is ARA and they have always come right in where I thought they would.

ARA has a minimum requirement on refining gold filled. It is 500 grams. It took me over one year to accumulate that much, one piece at a time.

I sent in exactly 500 grams and based on my calculations I expected $556 but I only got $349. I wrote a spreadsheet that formulated on the gold fraction (1/20 or whatever) and the mark (12K or whatever) and the weight in grams. For most of the year I calculated I would get about $1 per gram. Everybody knows that a 14K ring is really 13.5 or even less. You just can't trust jewelry manufacturers. I guess that holds true for GF makers too. Also, because GF only has precious metals on the outside and most GF is older any wear at all wears off the gold.

So what I have done is adjusted my spreadsheet to show a 38% discount because that is how much it is off. Next year, when I send in another batch I think I will be closer on the numbers.

Cyber-Dan,

It was a good Saturday morning!! I found several things and one is what appears to be a gold-filled Opal ring. I was wondering what happens the rest of the jewelry item? After the refiners get the gold-fill, do they return the group of "carcasses" of the items to you when they send the check?

Today, I found a 10kt. Aquamarine bracelet for $2. All together, it weighed 5 grams. What do you do with the stones you pull and keep?

Also, on the fake 14kt you've found, I was wondering about a detail. It seems that on most of the real 14kt necklaces, that the 14kt is marked on the loop end of the piece rather than on the clasp end. Today, I found a 14kt Marine link 20" necklace mixed in with a dozen other costume necklaces. It is marked "14kt" on the clasp end necklace. It cost me .25-cents....what are the chances it's fake?

I always learn from your postings, and I enjoy your outlook and experience.

Bill

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

billjustbill said:
a) After the refiners get the gold-fill, do they return the group of "carcasses" of the items to you when they send the check?

b)What do you do with the stones you pull and keep?

c)It is marked "14kt" on the clasp end necklace....what are the chances it's fake?
a) ARA did send back some "carcasses" but probably 5% of what I sent in. I guess the other 95% of the base metal just dissolved to be separated in the next step.

b) I pull all I can so I can get a real idea on the actual weight. I have a small jewelry baggy with a lot of stones in it. I don't know what I will do with them yet. might go to feebay.

c) never thought about that. they are all mixed in with costume jewelry now. I may pull them and look. good idea.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6

Cyberdan, I have stones from the rings and things I have sent in too. Here's an idea for you, when I have enough I am going to have a bracelet made up for my daughter with those stones set in it. Maybe give it to her before she leaves for college, kind of a constant reminder of how hard Dad has scrounged to put her through it. Maybe she will keep the book open an extra few mins while studying each night. LOL T.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

If ya'll figure out how to profit from the stones be sure to post it.......I've also got a small ziplock baggie about half full.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cyberdan said:
billjustbill said:
a) After the refiners get the gold-fill, do they return the group of "carcasses" of the items to you when they send the check?

b)What do you do with the stones you pull and keep?

c)It is marked "14kt" on the clasp end necklace....what are the chances it's fake?
a) ARA did send back some "carcasses" but probably 5% of what I sent in. I guess the other 95% of the base metal just dissolved to be separated in the next step.

b) I pull all I can so I can get a real idea on the actual weight. I have a small jewelry baggy with a lot of stones in it. I don't know what I will do with them yet. might go to feebay.

c) never thought about that. they are all mixed in with costume jewelry now. I may pull them and look. good idea.

Just to check on my gut feeling about the 14kt stamped on the clasp end of the marine link necklace, I took it and a few more things to the place that has the Tri-electronics GX-24-Pro tester to see. It is fake... as was the gold-filled Opal stone ring.... So, I've lost a total of .50 cents and didn't gain if it had been really 14kt gold.... But, the two, together, ought to bring $15-$20 at the next flea market.

The other bracelet with Aquamarines and 10kt came out 10kt, then the gold broken I.D. bracelet tested at 12kt. where the acid test at the pawn shop was said to be 14kt. This company's payout on today's price of $1,343, was about 44% of what ARA would pay... I didn't sell and thanked them for the offer....

It would be interesting to see on your fakes marked 14kt and 18kt if you see the same placement of karat markings on the lobster clasp end, which by the way, was attracted by the magnet test..... Another clue, fake gold with a poor quality magnetic clasp?

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

Quality Aquamarines Stones are pretty dang expensive. Better check the value of those little stones. :thumbsup: May be a better find than you think. :dontknow:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

cyberdan said:
hope this helps.

I've never seen 500g gf at the same time. ARA will take your gf if you send them karat gold at the same time. Not to abuse that, but I have sent 5.5 g of karat gold and 25g of filled together. I was pleased w/my check. My raw estimate on gf is that it is usually 1/20th 10k to 14k. 12k is my median and my average. So . . . 1/40th of my gf weight is the pure gold weight.

Then there is the (eeech!) grease factor. Have you ever thrown your gold into a frying pan and turned the fire up? You can't melt it, but you can burn off all the ear and neck grease. (gag!)
When you're talking 500g all at the same time that can be a significant player.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

batcap said:
Then there is the (eeech!) grease factor. Have you ever thrown your gold into a frying pan and turned the fire up? You can't melt it, but you can burn off all the ear and neck grease. (gag!)
When you're talking 500g all at the same time that can be a significant player.
Tell me about the dirt!!!!! :o
I have an ultra sonic cleaner that got most of it from my GF. Then I dried it and weighed it. This was a test, I wanted to be sure I sent exactly 500 gr of non-greased up GF.

The worst grime comes from GF watch bands. Be on the look out for the Spidel twist-o-flex bands a lot of older ones are GF. (just the caps)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread