DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At one of my GARAGE SALE'S a few years ago a women asked me if I would be interested in buying an OLD Metal Lathe that
belonged to her late husband. A couple of weeks went by and I stopped by her house just to see if it was worth the $10.00
she was asking for it...Yes $10.00 ( ten dollars ) Boy was it....I made arrangments with my Brother-in-law to help me load it
into my truck the following weekend. I paid the women twice what she wanted. She was just happy to get rid of it.. I offered
it to a friend for $300.00 but he had one in his garage already.I tried to sell it at my next GARAGE SALE for $ 300.00 ( no buyers )
I put on EBAY started it at $ 300.00 it SOLD for $1125.00...... I costed $63.00 total listing cost. I gave my Brother-in law $50.00
for just helping me to lift it in and out of the truck....... and the $ 20.00 I paid for it ( do I feel guilty sometimes ) There are lots of good old money making GARAGE SALE and YARD SALE finds out there.........................
out there.........................

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I always like to tell this story. I used to go to Yard Sales pretty regularly, and once came across an old small vase about 4" across and 4" high. I knew it was old and very unique but it had a chip in the base about the size of a small fingernail. None the less, I paid .25 cent for it.

After cleaning it up I noticed it had some very artsy looking, (strutting) roosters and on the bottom it was etched LaLique. I could ever find the pattern in any of the antique books, but LaLique is very expensive and was know to use the strutting rooster pattern.

I decided to give it a try on ebay, eventhough it had a chip in the base. I set a modest reserve of $125 and knew I would be happy with anything I got. I started getting emails from all over the world asking if I shipped internationally, something I had never done. I agreed, not a problem!

When it was all said and done, it went to a collector from Paris for $1750. Chipped base and all! After he received it, he told me it was a rare find and he would have paid up to $5000 if the base had not been chipped!

Now thats the kind of profits I like! I wish I could do that every week!

Robert in SC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread