A dumpster dive nets $14 cash and more stuff.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Thanks to the book the art and science of dumpster diving (ASDD my new guide book to life) I had a fun day with the kid .

Here is the story 12/4/2010 Sat we were driving looking for a YS saw a dumpster with things outside the dumpster at an apartment complex ,what caught my eye was the TV I was going to scrap the TV small 13 inch. One problem the thing works very well the tuner catches 2-14 and some other channels but it is off somehow so what out to the camper I will not have to pay for a flat screen like I planned so $89 saved there. Sure the TV has slight issues but get this even though the TV will not hit all the channels I want it to I can run it through a VCR use the VCR as a tuner walla I have a TV/ VCR combo for nothing NADA their trash my treasure and my guest can enjoy their own programming.

Next we took anything of use or value out the dumpster usually I would not take any papers but thanks to ASDD I decided to just load the car and cull through everything later Glad I did I found 4 perfect postage stamps good as cash to me. Normally I would look through and just take things I could use not any more I will take every thing of value and pass it on to others as I see fit or sell it or anything I desire all I need to do is clean out an old shed and make it make money for me. Every dollar you take out the trash is a dollar you didn't have to earn.

Now on to the how I got $14 out the trash. On the top inside the dumpster was clothing I normally will not even look at clothing but something told me to look at them and glad I did. You know if a consignment store gave me $14 cash for the clothes they are going to make over double what they paid all I did was wash the clothes and wipe down the jacket gave the cash to the kid kind of like the way they smeared blood on the kid in the Omen I gave her the cash to let her know this is the feeling you get from taking down a score she needs to know not only how to work at a job but throw to get value from things others decide to just toss in the dumpster. The clothing were a jacket a pullover and a shirt all acrombie & ??? ask me folks that wear these they are tossers cause they buy because the NAME ONLY. Not because of the QUALITY the name denotes ask me these clothes are rags in my eyes. Don't get me wrong I wear clothes but to me to pay big bucks to be cool yet just like 70% of demographics is foolish. I can see paying retail for carhardt or Dicky's those clothes are reasonable in price and last a long time they are built to go to work.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Nice dive.

Over the summer I did the dumpster dive at a house built in the 1700's. Drove by and could see older furniture sticking out. Got permission from the owner. Turns out it was the owners parents and they lived there for over 60 years. They had an auction house come through and take some stuff. But I managed to net over $1400 on feebay and locally from misc. stuff from the dumpster. Lots of stuff was bagged-up, so I threw them in my pickup (Yup Beverly Hillbillies) and went through them at home. I still have quite a bit of items to list and unload for more $$. Biggest score was pewter dollhouse items (I almost disposed of them). Those got me over $600. Sad part of the story was I missed the three previous dumpsters. :(

Keep an eye out for those dollhouse items, some are worth good $$!

OP
OP
cdltpx

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
Man I got some reference books that are antiques speciffic books I made a post about them but if you got something like that don't know what it is put it on tnet many of us have the books to locate things like that. I want to know how you listed it what did you call it etc.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
cdltpx said:
Man I got some reference books that are antiques speciffic books I made a post about them but if you got something like that don't know what it is put it on tnet many of us have the books to locate things like that. I want to know how you listed it what did you call it etc.

You're asking me how I sold the items?

I have Ref. books, but rarely open them, maybe because I'm too lazy, but mostly never seems I can find the exact item in the books. Much easier for me to research on the internet and find examples either for sale, sold, asking prices ect.. Some of the dollhouse items were still in packages, so that made it easier to track down history and description of the items. "Pewter" being a key work.

Hope I answered you question correctly.

OP
OP
cdltpx

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
I guess you just have to put some things on ebay and hope for the best I have an account sold one thing. Made enough when I sold but Ebay suggested I offer free shipping UPS the shipping cost some 20 something dollars it was a calculator and a book should have cost $5 max to ship I was so pissed I haven't tried to sell anything else the account remains open with only one sale to my credit. I need to get over it and start putting things on but they pay shipping.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdltpx said:
...but Ebay suggested I offer free shipping UPS the shipping cost some 20 something dollars...
Don't ever do anything feeBay suggests :wink: they are only in it for the money and the buyer. Long ago they decided to make it tough for the seller. >:(

I do sell a lot on fleeBay but only because they drove the competition out of business. (yahoo auctions) Right now they are offering free listings for auctions so give it a try again and a little secret on shipping charges (to help pay all the fees) If something boxed and ready to ship weighs two pounds tell the auction lister it weighs three pounds and also add $1 to $1.50 for handling.

I have a auction right now that I know will not go past the first bid of 99¢ but at least it will sell and I will break even in the long run (I only paid a dollar for the puzzle)

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
cyberdan said:
cdltpx said:
...but Ebay suggested I offer free shipping UPS the shipping cost some 20 something dollars...
Don't ever do anything feeBay suggests :wink: they are only in it for the money and the buyer. Long ago they decided to make it tough for the seller. >:(

I do sell a lot on fleeBay but only because they drove the competition out of business. (yahoo auctions) Right now they are offering free listings for auctions so give it a try again and a little secret on shipping charges (to help pay all the fees) If something boxed and ready to ship weighs two pounds tell the auction lister it weighs three pounds and also add $1 to $1.50 for handling.

I have a auction right now that I know will not go past the first bid of 99¢ but at least it will sell and I will break even in the long run (I only paid a dollar for the puzzle)

Yup, "FeeB is only in it for the money and the buyers". I Used "Boxlot" many moons ago, then FeeB bought them. FeeB is the only real game in town (States) to hit the masses... bummer that it is.
I've gotten "Negative" ratings from stupid buyers because things were "damaged during shipping" ..unreal. Sellers are helpless. Make's you miss the days when you could actually rate the buyers.

Always try and bump and the shipping when possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread