dose silver plated flatware have any value?

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
fisher f-4 bounty hunter tracker IV garrett AT PRO

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
There is a method for removing silver from these utensils these utensils are made of coopernickel it is valued at a price greater than bright copper getting that price is a shopping trip you have to find the buyer to offer you what it is worth. If you can buy them for a reasonable price of copper you should make out fine tell them you are getting XYZ for copper and will buy for ABC. The future silver will be worth more and it will be worth it to stockpile the stuff. Should you choose to do the dangerous job yourself more power to you but odds are you will send in the items to be processed where they remove the silver and you get payment for what they extract.
I too am seeing many of these and you need to get acid to test or use an electronic testor. First use a magnet if you have attraction forget it. Silver and copper is nonferris. After magnet test and nonferris then bother to test further. Take the least expensive noninvasive methods first. You scratch with a file put acid on it and you get any green bubbly reaction you have a copper based metal not bad copper is worth over $3 a pound and has potential to be very valuable should we see major war again. And you know the value of silver.

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Great answer.
I also see a lot of stuff marked:
"silver soldered" and stamped 8 or 10oz.
What the stamping have to do with the item.
Is the 10oz. stamp is a total weight of an item or what??
???
:dontknow:

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Vodka1000 said:
Great answer.
I also see a lot of stuff marked:
"silver soldered" and stamped 8 or 10oz.
What the stamping have to do with the item.
Is the 10oz. stamp is a total weight of an item or what??
???
:dontknow:
As we see the value of all metals increase(due to the weakening of the USD) you are more likely to encounter fakes so I would not take it for silver value unless the item was tested period. Sure stamps are great way to tell if an item is gold silver etc but how difficult is it to get nonferris silverplated items stamped most would take it for face value till 20 years down the road when they run it through the dish washer and find it is fake. By then the scammers are long gone. My brother is a jewler and said his friend that buy gold took a watch in for gold come to find out the band was plated and the watch was not worth near what he paid for it. Test test test then test in other areas if you are truly buying for scrap test all your can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread