Things that I hunt for at garage sales / thrift stores

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
famous turtle treasures said:
Great info thanks! I will have to see what is in this area. What exactly is yellow brass? Are you referring to brass that figurines are made out of?

Like this?

"Yellow brass" - yes like those. Thou I'm sure you can do better selling those as bookends rather than scrap. I look for cheap brass items such as, animal figures, fireplace equipment, knobs, pulls, hangers, door kicks, picture frames ect.. you should see all the crazy stuff in my brass piles! I usually get a laugh from the recycle place when I bring it in. Have around 150lbs to bring in. Nice extra money. ;D Small file, magnet work for checking pieces. I try an guesstimate the weight and pay no more than $.50lb., usually way, way less. Hope this helps.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
boogeyman said:
I've been messing with hardware for years and years. Best advice I can give you is spend a little time building a raport with antique dealers restoration shops decorators etc close to your area. Usually they get in touch with you looking for stuff they need immediately. They usually have the cash in hand & offer more than what you'd ask. Be fair in your prices for them and your reputation will grow. You'll get calls & referals this way. Newer / current stuff = field trip to Depot Lowes etc. Check their prices & price your stuff just under. There's a ton of sites on the web that will buy old unique items & are a warehouse of info. If you just want to focus on newer hardware, hit up the manufacturers for catalogs, linecards & price sheets. Most are real glad to send you info or direct you to their site. You can DL the info & put it together with Adobe writer or similar and keep with you when you go swap meeting or garage sale browsing.

Try running wanted ads on Craigs List for junk screws nuts & bolts. You'll be pleasantly surprised whats offered to you! Another good source is junk yards. The ones close to me will let me search piles & one guy (small operation) calls me when he gets a bucket or two. Can't really beat a bucket of hardware for "by the pound prices". I get lots of lock hardware from him also.

That's great information. Thanks!
DO you move "lamp shades" at the same places? I see those all the time, cheap. They are a little big to carry, but if its worth it I might give it a try. Thanks

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I wouldn't sell the scallop book ends for scrap. Just found these, my last pair sold for $39.99, but if that's yellow brass, then I know exactly what to look for, I guess I will add a pocket scale to my go bag.

Oh speaking of that, I carry a manpurse with various tools for when I am out hunting.

Here is my list if anyone is interested.

1. Pen / Paper
2. Loupe
3. Cloth Measuring tape
4. RB 40 Magnet
5. Pocket Black light for vaseline glass
6. Reciept book
7. Adding pocket scale

Oh speaking of pocket scales, I found 3 bracelets at a thrift store that were stamped sterling silver Mexico on them, but they didn't look or sound like they were silver when I clanked them together, not to mention they felt was too heavy. Needless to say, I didn't buy them. Anyone know of fake sterling from Mexico?

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#2 Atomic - This one spills into space age. Vintage starburst items or even just things with starbursts on them but they have to be vintage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_852wt_907

I'VE GOT ONE OF THESE IN THE GARAGE, OR AT LEAST A SIMILAR ONE, THAT I'LL HAVE TO DIG OUT AND TAKE A LOOK AT IT. MAYBE I'LL POST A PIC IF I CAN FIND IT. I KNOW I PAID ONLY A BUCK FOR IT AND THOUGHT I COULD MAKE A FEW OFF IT IN NEXT YEARS GARAGE SALE BUT MAYBE I'LL TRY IT ON EBAY MYSELF...I'VE SOLD ON EBAY FOR SOME TIME NOW BUT HAVE BEEN HESITANT ABOUT SHIPPING GLASS ITEMS, ANY TIPS ON SHIPPING/PACKING THESE ITEMS? THAT IS MY BIGGEST DREAD OF SELLING ON EBAY...SHIPPING!!!

Well I found mine but it's not the starburst like I thought, it has a candle warmer, and the box too.

Attachments

• 2011_0108MEDIA0003.JPG
    2011_0108MEDIA0003.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 3,800

philinchio

Dec 24, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster Pro
Vintage video game systems

I've built up a pretty nice little collection of retro gaming over the summer from thrifting and garage sailing. Craigslist too. If you know what to look for you can score some pretty valuable games for cheap.

Another great item to add to the list are graphing calculators. Depending on the model they can go from $20-60+. Certain vintage models can command a premium as well.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the only gaming system I don't have for my collection is a PS2, and a sega saturn. I picked up a sega cd a couple of months ago, been looking for about 6 months. I am currently on a vintage big box pc kick. I have found some of my favorite games from growing up. Its great, I even found a couple of sealed big box games.

I am definately keeping my eyes out for the pioneer laser disc sega system. They go for over $300.00, I sold the drive alone for $60. I have a feeling the actual system was there too, but I didn't even know what it was when I bought it, just that I had never seen pioneer and sega together on one thing.

Graphing calculators? I see them quite a bit. Time to do some research thanks!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info thanks! I will have to see what is in this area. What exactly is yellow brass? Are you referring to brass that figurines are made out of?
I took some brass things in yesterday to sell. The jard guy grabbed a few and scratched off the brass and white metal showed underneath. He said that it was brass plated aluminum, I said it was too heavy to be AL. He took 3-4 pieces and walked away, he came back a few min later and thru them in my brass box and didn't say a word. What could they be? I don't know enough spanish to ask any more questions.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
cyberdan said:
I took some brass things in yesterday to sell. The jard guy grabbed a few and scratched off the brass and white metal showed underneath. He said that it was brass plated aluminum, I said it was too heavy to be AL. He took 3-4 pieces and walked away, he came back a few min later and thru them in my brass box and didn't say a word. What could they be? I don't know enough spanish to ask any more questions.

My Spanish is limited to bad words.
Not really sure on this one Cyberdan, perhaps they were brass castings? Maybe they would show up much lighter in color compared to the tarnishing of the exterior? Since they gave you credit, maybe something like that or they didn't know either... Not sure if they used that nickel composite stuff that gets silver plated, maybe they can brass plate that composite too?

I think you saw my post on this in another forum area, but keep an eye out for the cheaply priced silver plated cooper pieces. ;D Check with your scrap yard, but here they scrap as #2 copper, now $2.75lb.Some of the large plates weigh in nicely.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I am sure glad I started posting on here. I always see the silver plate on copper stamps when I am out and about. I can't believe I never thought it just as copper. I guess seeing the silver color threw me off. I need a bigger house....

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
I have a question for you all ;D
Whats or where is the best place to sell off the corning ware percolators
I just bought 3 today :headbang:

Picture060.jpg

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you can try on ebay... but you may get your hand slapped, or you may sell them. Those are some nice finds though. Not to mention those are complete with the spacers even!

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
redfish76 said:
I have a question for you all ;D
Whats or where is the best place to sell off the corning ware percolators
I just bought 3 today :headbang:

Like Famous said, you can Ebay. You may get them sold. Or someone may contact you if Ebay decides they shouldn't be listed, to buy them direct. I sold a old glass fire extinguisher that way. If selling individually, be sure to note that you have two more you'll be selling.

Good luck

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an update...

Danish Modern 45pc flatware set I picked up for $10.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130463204441#ht_852wt_907

Hollywood Regency wall mirror I paid $3.00 for
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130468629642#ht_1302wt_992

Danish Modern clock that I paid $6.00 for
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130435546825#ht_752wt_907

I am pushing 60 items sold for THIS MONTH so far not to mention I am almost pushing $3000.00 in sales, not too shabby for only selling on ebay for 6 months.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Turtle~

Thank you for posting this stuff. I learn sumpin' new every day on this forum.

I had no idea some of that stuff was so valuable!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!!

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember its all how you advertise stuff in your title. Ive seen the same things selling at 70-90% less due to poor keywords.

I believe I have finally talked my mother talked into writing an ebook about selling on ebay . I have been trying to get her to do it for years. I think she finally realized she could do it when I took her style of selling on ebay, implemented it, and made bronze powerseller in 4 months.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember those Corning ware coffee pots! Brings back memories.

philinchio

Dec 24, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster Pro
Here's another thing to keep an eye out for at the thrifts/garage sales; original Transformers toys. Depending on the model and condition/completeness they can go for serious money on eBay.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know which ones are the original transformers, and which ones are not? I have been meaning to actually look for them, but ever toy section I go into is flooded with transformer type figurines.

I guess it goes back to everything else for me, I need to actually see the original figurines before I know what to look for. Unfortunately pictures only help so much.

Wait didn't the transformers have some sort of heat changing stickers? I remember that from when I was a kid lol.

Also if there are any mfg marks, dates, and the location of these marks that would be super helpful!

I went out hunting for matchbox cars for the first time a month ago. I found one made in England with the makers stamp on it. I looked it up, but it wasn't worth much.

Oh that reminds me here is another piece of information...

Vintage bookends can be worth a bit of cash.

I paid $4.00 for these nautical theme bookends

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130460779897

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions