Silver Plated Tea Pot. Was It Worth It? Who Made It?

skfloyd

Dec 18, 2009
I picked up this silver on copper antique tea pot today at the Salvation Army for $14.99. It says silver on copper and has three stamps on the bottom. Can anyone tell me who made this and if it is worth what I paid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 8,743
  • Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,126
OP
OP
S

skfloyd

Dec 18, 2009
gord said:
Apparently made by Sheridan Silver Co. of Taunton, MA.
Hey thanks for the fast ID! I looked the name up on Ebay and found the same stamps. Mine appears to be older than the ones posted there. Anyone have any idea as to the value?

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
skfloyd said:
gord said:
Hey thanks for the fast ID! I looked the name up on Ebay and found the same stamps. Mine appears to be older than the ones posted there. Anyone have any idea as to the value?

Not sure of the value. If it was mine, I'd probably cash it in for scrap $$. Always on option if you can't get it sold as a collectible.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
In my opinion I think you had a good deal. It won't be worth all that much, but certainly worth more than you paid for it. Try not to be too hard on cleaning it, if you are going to, nothing too abrasive..

.U.

OP
OP
S

skfloyd

Dec 18, 2009
SEANO said:
skfloyd said:
gord said:

Not sure of the value. If it was mine, I'd probably cash it in for scrap $$. Always on option if you can't get it sold as a collectible.

Thanks guys for the help. I'm not going to clean it, I'm just going to throw it on Ebay to see what it brings. I'll leave it to the buyer if they want it cleaned or not.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
SEANO said:
skfloyd said:
gord said:

why would you scrap it? it's made of copper an it isn't heavy enough to be worth anything

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
[/quote]why would you scrap it? it's made of copper an it isn't heavy enough to be worth anything
[/quote]

Looks to be 3-5lbs as a guess. #1 Copper's at $3.30lb here. That is why I would probably scrap it, if there was no market for it otherwise. Add in a potential of 3x premium below and it can add up.

From the Scrap Metal Forum:

CUPRONICKEL

* a fancy way of saying copper/nickel alloy
* is worth much more that copper 1.
* Some yards will cheat and try to buy this stuff as brass or cheaper.
* is actually at least 30% Ni, sometimes up to 90%, which is 3 times as expensive as copper.
* Is often used in fake jewelry, silver-plated dinnerware, silver-plated anything, ship making, salt water pipes, heat exchangers or elements, thermocouples, musical instruments and more...

"XRF handheld analyzers cost anywhere from $20k used to $70k new. Despite the price tag, many yards, even small ones, have invested in them. Without a XRF gun/handheld analyzer, there really is no way to tell precisely what an alloy is made of, especially if the yard also buys and sells precious metal alloys. If your yard is reluctant to take it out, it is either because they are afraid of using $50k equipment, or they don't want to pay you a fair price."

"If a yard says they do not want to pay you for nickel alloys, politely tell them that you will sell it to a yard that does. Then do so."

check out more here: http://scrappingmetal.blogspot.com/...y-metals-or-fighting-for-price.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread