local gooodwill has gone crazy on prices

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I noticed the same thing with the prices in my town as well. I was in there a few weeks ago, and noticed an older guy in a suit and tie walking several of the employees around the store and picking up certain items and placing them into a shopping cart. I came back a few days later and found that t-shirts went from $1.99 to the new price of $3.29, the furniture was outrageous (a worn out couch for 139.99, computer desk/hutch for 49.99) and all the name brand clothing, regardless of type was double to triple their normal prices. I could not believe it. I can only guess the guy that was in here was telling them how to look for name brand titles. Makes me a little sad.....

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who does goodwill help with all the money they make? I know the Salvation Army has helped a couple people I know, but just do not know about goodwill.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right about Goodwill. I can honestly find better deals at the local antique stores than I can from the local Goodwill.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my better finds have come from smaller thrift stores. There was a Jewish Thrift that I could always depend on, but it closed it's doors several months ago. You would be amazed at some of the treasures that were found in that store. We're talking Roseville, Rookwood, Van Briggle, Fulper, Weller, Shawnee, McCoy, Lalique, Steuben, Baccarrat, Jadeite, depression glass etc. etc. etc.. If I ever get around to really selling some of this stuff (and this is the junk room)-

Attachments

• 100_4291.jpg
    100_4291.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 614
  • 100_4292.jpg
    100_4292.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 623
  • 100_4293.jpg
    100_4293.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 630
  • 100_4297.jpg
    100_4297.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 622
  • 100_4298.jpg
    100_4298.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 100_4299.jpg
    100_4299.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 618

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trueblue124 said:
diggummup,
I gotta ask, can I have your autograph after your episode airs on hoarders? ;D

That's a awesome collection of stuff!
Looks are deceiving aren't they? This is all in a 4x14 closet, the wife keeps a beautiful house. But you can still have my autograph! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I sell alot of stuff to my lady friend here-
http://www.cheshirecatantiques.com/

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Damn duggumup , that is some nice stuff.. I have a few questions.. first is the mixer with the green bowls.. are they fireking jalite?? 2nd the lil red riding hood teapot.. I think it is a teapot.. is the original or a repro.. I'm sure you know they repro'd them alot... now on to the shawnee the first 2 pairs on the top self the bakers/chefs an the whinnie an smiley salt & pepper shakers should do good.. the puss& boots don't seem to sell well right now an neither do owls unless they are the gold trim owls.... I probly havemore question or comments but that is so much to take in...lol

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
Damn duggumup , that is some nice stuff.. I have a few questions.. first is the mixer with the green bowls.. are they fireking jalite?? 2nd the lil red riding hood teapot.. I think it is a teapot.. is the original or a repro.. I'm sure you know they repro'd them alot... now on to the shawnee the first 2 pairs on the top self the bakers/chefs an the whinnie an smiley salt & pepper shakers should do good.. the puss& boots don't seem to sell well right now an neither do owls unless they are the gold trim owls.... I probly havemore question or comments but that is so much to take in...lol
Thanks. Yes, the jadeite is Fire-King. The teapot was produced by Regal for Hull. I won't sell the majority of this stuff yet, because in a couple years I am going to quit the flooring business (for the most part), relocate to another state and go into antiques and collectibles full time. Once I don't have a mortgage to worry about anymore, I can dedicate myself to doing what I like, versus what I have to do (flooring) to make ends meet.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
My sister in law worked at Goodwill about 7 or 8 years ago, with her 2 other sisters and her aunt, and she would call me to come over to her house and pick out what jeans and shirts i wanted before they actually put the stuff on the shelves for sale! Actually, I never seen anything I wanted so i never took anything from the lot! They raided every bag of donated stuff before Goodwill even knew they had it! I'm sure this happens at every charity! :dontknow:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all think the store prices are bad. You should all look at www.shopgoodwill.com The stores that have gotten on board there are insane. I believe that Goodwill is using shills to run up the auction prices on their online goods. I can't believe people would actually bid that much for so much crap.

I still go to the stores. If you go to four or five stores two or three times a week, I usually wind up making some good finds. Not as cheap as I used to, but good deals nonetheless.

One thing to look out for: FAKE name brands. Tommy Bahama Clothes and Faragamo Shoes in Southern California. They are in all thrifts. Know how to tell real from fake!

Mike

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here the GW stores get a lot of thier stuff from Target, trailer loads of the stuff. They have to pay for it so they price it high and think it's worth more than it should be. If the price ends in 99 then it came from Target, if it ends in 00 then it was donated. Pricing on the larger stuff is up to how the manager wants to price it, the more they make the more thier bonus is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions