coin found at yard sale

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife prodded me into going to a yard sale across the road from our house. So i went and looked around and was just leaving and stopped to talk a momenet with the home owner and spied a sandwich bag with some uniform buttons inside.They werre the type that uses the little metal clutches that go on the back side that i always seem to lose. So i gavehim a dollar for the bag just to get the clutches. When i got home, to my surprise, inside i found a 1913 Canadian large cent in rough shape and also a very desirable Canadian 1891 large cent in very good condition. My research has shown this to be a highly sought-after coin. In fact, the Charlton Canadian coin book devotes a whole section to the Queen Victorian large cent. Here's a link for more

info.https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=76

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
CWnut said:
The wife prodded me into going to a yard sale across the road from our house. So i went and looked around and was just leaving and stopped to talk a momenet with the home owner and spied a sandwich bag with some uniform buttons inside.They werre the type that uses the little metal clutches that go on the back side that i always seem to lose. So i gavehim a dollar for the bag just to get the clutches. When i got home, to my surprise, inside i found a 1913 Canadian large cent in rough shape and also a very desirable Canadian 1891 large cent in very good condition. My research has shown this to be a highly sought-after coin. In fact, the Charlton Canadian coin book devotes a whole section to the Queen Victorian large cent. Here's a link for more

info.https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=76
There are 4 different varieties for 1891 ..which one do you have an can we see a picture?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large Leaf Large Date is the most common. Ditto on icon_that.gif

Attachments

• icon_that.gif
    icon_that.gif
    576 bytes · Views: 1,039
OP
OP
CWnut

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok here's some pics. the first two show the assortment of junk i bought.

Attachments

• DSCF0075.JPG
    DSCF0075.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCF0082.JPG
    DSCF0082.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 699
  • DSCF0086.JPG
    DSCF0086.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 703
  • DSCF0084.JPG
    DSCF0084.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 704
  • DSCF0088.JPG
    DSCF0088.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 704
  • DSCF0087.JPG
    DSCF0087.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 711

Dadsnorz

Dec 15, 2010
flip those service pins over ...a lot of those painted pins are 10 K... Dollar well spent!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a LLSD (Large Leaf Small Date) wide date. I can't really tell though, it's hard to see the number 9. If it is I think it's worth some bucks. There are many varieties of this date coin, I think like 12 or more. Take a closer look and compare the number 9 to these-

Large date
image034.jpg

small date
image036.jpg

I think you should read up on the obverse varieties too. I can't tell because of the blurry obv. photos. Read up here and see what you got (1891 only has two obverse varieties #2 and #3)- http://www.cointalk.com/t97107/ and let me know if you have the small date variety too, like I said it looks like it but it's hard to tell from the photo. I hope for your sake, you do. Update us after you check it out some more. :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
It looks like a LLSD (Large Leaf Small Date) wide date. I can't really tell though, it's hard to see the number 9. If it is I think it's worth some bucks. There are many varieties of this date coin, I think like 12 or more. Take a closer look and compare the number 9 to these-

Large date

small date

I think you should read up on the obverse varieties too. I can't tell because of the blurry obv. photos. Read up here and see what you got (1891 only has two obverse varieties #2 and #3)- http://www.cointalk.com/t97107/ and let me know if you have the small date variety too, like I said it looks like it but it's hard to tell from the photo. I hope for your sake, you do. Update us after you check it out some more. :thumbsup:
like diggumup said the pics are blurry.. Does your camera have macro? it usuually is a flower looking icon on the camera... If so use that it is a function that was made to take clear very close up of very small items.. As for now til we can see better pics.. I think I am agreeing with Diggumup with the variety

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions