Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

Polk Monitor 5 Speakers @ Thrift

Picked up a pair of these for $5.00 today at a local thrift store.

Should be able to flip them for around $100

Old audio gear is worth some $$$ because the newer Wal Mart/Best Buy stuff made today is garbage.
    LMAO

us
    Nov 2010
    Poulsbo,WA
    Whites XLT
    72 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Polk Monitor 5 Speakers @ Thrift

Good to know, any specific brands you would recommend? Also what are some good key id features for quality speakers?

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by famous turtle treasures
    Good to know, any specific brands you would recommend? Also what are some good key id features for quality speakers?
    Vintage Audio Gear is a niche market, but collectors will pay a premium for old stuff in good shape. With speakers, you should always hook them up to an amp or receiver to make sure all the drivers are working properly. Be on the lookout for stuff made in between the 60's and mid 80's. Made in USA, Europe, or Japan is always a good sign.

When looking for quality vintage audio, a few of the brands to keep an eye out for are:

JBL
    AR (Acoustic Research)
    Klipsch
    Advent
    Polk
    KLH
    Pioneer
    Sansui
    Marantz
    McIntosh
    NAD
    Boston Acoustics
    DCI
    Technics (turntables and reel to reel decks especially)
    Akai
    Sony
    ADC

With turntables, amps, receivers, reel to reels, cassette decks, ect, some of the brand names are the same as above. Some signs you have a good piece include:

Silver brushed aluminum faceplate - the black plastic stuff is usually worthless.
    Real wood veneer on speaker or receiver cabinets.
    The heavier, the better. If it is a pain to move around, it is probably worth something. Units with vacum tubes can be quite heavy.

These sites can be of much help:

http://www.classicaudio.com/

http://www.audiokarma.org/

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/

Hope this can be of help to you in your vintage audio quest.
    LMAO

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

And yes - I am eBay scum who looks for cheap things to sell at a higher price. Some call it capitalism, but I call it a living.

Here is a link to my vintage car stereo auction that ends soon. It was purchased from a pawn shop for 8 bucks. I had to order a $5.00 belt and get an old electronics guy to fix it up. I have $28.00 in this thing and it should sell for around $300.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

If you buy some old gear that needs repairing, look for an OLDER tech in your area. If they ever served in the military or do HAM radio then they will be able to repair vintage audio gear.
    LMAO

um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2659 times

Nice find. I found a pair of Celestion Ditton 66's a couple months ago for $5. According to my tech, I need to replace 1 tweeter and replace a capacitor in one crossover and they will be good to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3977.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	529386  
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

Those are some nice speakers! I actually use a pair of JBL L36 Decades in my living room. I have them hooked up to my NAD pre & power amp and Pioneer PL-518 turntable.

If you ever run across a pair of AR 4's down there in sunny Florida let me know.

Go Dawgs.
    LMAO

us
    Sep 2010
    New England
    V3i
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by hombre_de_plata_flaco
    Quote Originally Posted by famous turtle treasures
    Vintage Audio Gear is a niche market, but collectors will pay a premium for old stuff in good shape. With speakers, you should always hook them up to an amp or receiver to make sure all the drivers are working properly. Be on the lookout for stuff made in between the 60's and mid 80's. Made in USA, Europe, or Japan is always a good sign.
    Great info., thanks. I've picked-up quite a few "vintage audio gear" items over the past few months, most less the $5. Found some on Ebay that have sold and printed out the info. Put the info. with the respective pieces and will list in the winter when it's so damn boring around here, plus there should be more buyers.

This weekend only got one item (not vintage), a Peavey Audition 20 paid $5. I could only find one Ebay sale, $38 on a "project" amp.

Thank again.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    2523 times

Nice find hombre de plata! I'm still spinning vinyl on a 35 yrs old Morse Audiophile system, with a nice Sony turntable, and an 8-track(for what that is worth, the 8-track). I can barely even lift the speakers to move them. But, I've blown the mid-ranges, got two other sets of speakers plugged in. I've got a few old tube, console players and tv's.? They stored in another house.

The best thing and most unbeleivable thing I sold on e-bay, and made real good on, was the little girls dancing leotards. I'd buy 'em at garage sells, thrift stores, at .50 to $1.00, they'd sell for $20.00, $30.00, and light to ship. I put sets together, $100.00 for 3. New name brand ones, CK, only one comes to mind, can run $70.00, for .07 sents worth of fabric? I never got it, but I got it.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

Gotta love the vinyl. Sadly, I am currently selling off a good portion of my vinyl collection. I am going full time ebay now and some of this stuff has to go. I gave up looking for an actual "real" job, as the industry I was formerly employed in (golf course) has crashed and burned since the "Great Recession" began in 2008. I got laid off two weeks before Christmas in 2008, so I decided to go back to school. I have about a year left until I get my History Degree w/Teaching Certificate, and with the way my school schedule is laid out the odds of me finding a job to conform to my schedule are next to zero. I have just rented a 100 square foot space at my local antique mall and will be selling stuff on Flea-bay as well. I'm sure it will be feast or famine until I get out of school, but until then I am going to be hitting up flea markets, garage/yard/estate sales, classified ads, and thrift stores looking for stuff to flip. I already have a storage unit chock full of stuff I have rounded up over the years to get me started. I came to this site to learn more about metal detecting now that my schedule is so flexible. Every piece I dig up out of the dirt or pick up at a sale has it's own unique history, so I am looking at my current employment status as an elective toward my History Degree.

Thanks for the heads up on the leotards. I never would have guessed.
    LMAO

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Hope you sell them for a good profit !
    ALLEN

Charter Member
    us

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    2523 times

Quote Originally Posted by hombre_de_plata_flaco
    Gotta love the vinyl. Sadly, I am currently selling off a good portion of my vinyl collection. I am going full time ebay now and some of this stuff has to go. I gave up looking for an actual "real" job, as the industry I was formerly employed in (golf course) has crashed and burned since the "Great Recession" began in 2008.
    I have about a year left until I get my History Degree w/Teaching Certificate,
    I have just rented a 100 square foot space at my local antique mall and will be selling stuff on Flea-bay as well. I'm sure it will be feast or famine
    I already have a storage unit chock full of stuff I have rounded up over the years to get me started. I came to this site to learn more about metal detecting now that my schedule is so flexible. Every piece I dig up out of the dirt or pick up at a sale has it's own unique history, so I am looking at my current employment status as an elective toward my History Degree.
    Thanks for the heads up on the leotards. I never would have guessed.
    Hey hombre, go check out the music section, I put up some spins, may or may not be your tastes.
    In Ga., all the degrees you get under the belt, the more $$$$(cousin retired Ga board edu.).

You mean you don't know no badge brokers in Augusta? Dude, you need to pm me. Seriously.

Rent storage?, My house used to LOOK like a warehouse. I worked for a collectibles store, on the side, I would sell Harbour lights lighthouses, Gene Dolls, Harmony Kingdom, Swarvoski, Geuiseppe Armini?, I can't remember all, Used to hit auctions for material, Yeah, who'da thunk leotards, check it out online.
    Keep grinding away, famine ain't no fun. Good luck with all.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

Thanks for the well wishes. I will post a pic of my booth after I get it set up. I should have it up and running within the next two weeks. I have dumped more $$$ into it than I had originally planned already so I hope it pans out. Bought two display cases, but one needs to have a key cut so I have to call a locksmith. Have to clean up and replace some light bulbs as well.

I figure the antique mall space will double as storefront/storage. If something sits too long it is getting yanked out of the display case and put up for auction. Found an old piece of furniture today that might be worth sitting out over there. It has dovetail joints and a weird slab of marble built into the top.
    LMAO

us
    Jun 2010
    Baltimore MD
    AT PRO
    59 times

Quote Originally Posted by pat-tekker-cat
    Nice find hombre de plata! I'm still spinning vinyl on a 35 yrs old Morse Audiophile system, with a nice Sony turntable, and an 8-track(for what that is worth, the 8-track). I can barely even lift the speakers to move them. But, I've blown the mid-ranges, got two other sets of speakers plugged in. I've got a few old tube, console players and tv's.? They stored in another house.

The best thing and most unbeleivable thing I sold on e-bay, and made real good on, was the little girls dancing leotards. I'd buy 'em at garage sells, thrift stores, at .50 to $1.00, they'd sell for $20.00, $30.00, and light to ship. I put sets together, $100.00 for 3. New name brand ones, CK, only one comes to mind, can run $70.00, for .07 sents worth of fabric? I never got it, but I got it.
    They have names for 50 yo men who buy used little girl leotards. The very last thing I'd want to do is raise questions among the neighbors. Mentioning "I heard they sell real well on eBay." probably wouldn't help much. Maybe adult-sized designer dresses. I have to leave some things to the ladies, no matter how profitable.

And Hombre, My main stereo is a Technics SA-300 pushing Bose 2001's, with a Denon turntable. The best speakers I ever actually owned were a pair of Advent Legacy, so I can see how some people with cash to spare can try to recapture their youth that way.

Charter Member
    us

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    2523 times

Batcap, I sure didn't think of it that way, I so see what you're saying. I woulda never thunk that.
    Being a girl cat, I slink on and out, pretty much, anywhere I want to. Guess I'm just blessed in my owns ways.

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

They have names for 50 yo men who buy used little girl leotards. The very last thing I'd want to do is raise questions among the neighbors. Mentioning "I heard they sell real well on eBay." probably wouldn't help much. Maybe adult-sized designer dresses. I have to leave some things to the ladies, no matter how profitable.
    Ever seen Top Secret?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJVEb-qljA

And Hombre, My main stereo is a Technics SA-300 pushing Bose 2001's, with a Denon turntable. The best speakers I ever actually owned were a pair of Advent Legacy, so I can see how some people with cash to spare can try to recapture their youth that way.
    Here is a pic of my current set up. I got a lead on a pair of JBL L100 Century speakers today. I hope it pans out. Those are some great speakers.

LMAO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors