Polk Monitor 5 Speakers @ Thrift

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Picked up a pair of these for $5.00 today at a local thrift store.

Polk_Monitor_5.jpg

Should be able to flip them for around $100

Old audio gear is worth some $$$ because the newer Wal Mart/Best Buy stuff made today is garbage.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
famous turtle treasures said:
Good to know, any specific brands you would recommend? Also what are some good key id features for quality speakers?

Vintage Audio Gear is a niche market, but collectors will pay a premium for old stuff in good shape. With speakers, you should always hook them up to an amp or receiver to make sure all the drivers are working properly. Be on the lookout for stuff made in between the 60's and mid 80's. Made in USA, Europe, or Japan is always a good sign.

When looking for quality vintage audio, a few of the brands to keep an eye out for are:

JBL
AR (Acoustic Research)
Klipsch
Advent
Polk
KLH
Pioneer
Sansui
Marantz
McIntosh
NAD
Boston Acoustics
DCI
Technics (turntables and reel to reel decks especially)
Akai
Sony
ADC

With turntables, amps, receivers, reel to reels, cassette decks, ect, some of the brand names are the same as above. Some signs you have a good piece include:

Silver brushed aluminum faceplate - the black plastic stuff is usually worthless.
Real wood veneer on speaker or receiver cabinets.
The heavier, the better. If it is a pain to move around, it is probably worth something. Units with vacum tubes can be quite heavy.

These sites can be of much help:

http://www.classicaudio.com/

http://www.audiokarma.org/

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/

Hope this can be of help to you in your vintage audio quest.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
And yes - I am eBay scum who looks for cheap things to sell at a higher price. Some call it capitalism, but I call it a living.

Here is a link to my vintage car stereo auction that ends soon. It was purchased from a pawn shop for 8 bucks. I had to order a $5.00 belt and get an old electronics guy to fix it up. I have $28.00 in this thing and it should sell for around $300.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...50602000774&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT

If you buy some old gear that needs repairing, look for an OLDER tech in your area. If they ever served in the military or do HAM radio then they will be able to repair vintage audio gear.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I found a pair of Celestion Ditton 66's a couple months ago for $5. According to my tech, I need to replace 1 tweeter and replace a capacitor in one crossover and they will be good to go.

Attachments

• 100_3977.jpg
    100_3977.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,300
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Those are some nice speakers! I actually use a pair of JBL L36 Decades in my living room. I have them hooked up to my NAD pre & power amp and Pioneer PL-518 turntable.

If you ever run across a pair of AR 4's down there in sunny Florida let me know.

Go Dawgs.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
famous turtle treasures said:
Good to know, any specific brands you would recommend? Also what are some good key id features for quality speakers?

Vintage Audio Gear is a niche market, but collectors will pay a premium for old stuff in good shape. With speakers, you should always hook them up to an amp or receiver to make sure all the drivers are working properly. Be on the lookout for stuff made in between the 60's and mid 80's. Made in USA, Europe, or Japan is always a good sign.

Great info., thanks. I've picked-up quite a few "vintage audio gear" items over the past few months, most less the $5. Found some on Ebay that have sold and printed out the info. Put the info. with the respective pieces and will list in the winter when it's so damn boring around here, plus there should be more buyers.

This weekend only got one item (not vintage), a Peavey Audition 20 paid $5. I could only find one Ebay sale, $38 on a "project" amp.

Thank again.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find hombre de plata! I'm still spinning vinyl on a 35 yrs old Morse Audiophile system, with a nice Sony turntable, and an 8-track(for what that is worth, the 8-track). I can barely even lift the speakers to move them. But, I've blown the mid-ranges, got two other sets of speakers plugged in. I've got a few old tube, console players and tv's.? They stored in another house.

The best thing and most unbeleivable thing I sold on e-bay, and made real good on, was the little girls dancing leotards. I'd buy 'em at garage sells, thrift stores, at .50 to $1.00, they'd sell for $20.00, $30.00, and light to ship. I put sets together, $100.00 for 3. New name brand ones, CK, only one comes to mind, can run $70.00, for .07 sents worth of fabric? I never got it, but I got it.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Gotta love the vinyl. Sadly, I am currently selling off a good portion of my vinyl collection. I am going full time ebay now and some of this stuff has to go. I gave up looking for an actual "real" job, as the industry I was formerly employed in (golf course) has crashed and burned since the "Great Recession" began in 2008. I got laid off two weeks before Christmas in 2008, so I decided to go back to school. I have about a year left until I get my History Degree w/Teaching Certificate, and with the way my school schedule is laid out the odds of me finding a job to conform to my schedule are next to zero. I have just rented a 100 square foot space at my local antique mall and will be selling stuff on Flea-bay as well. I'm sure it will be feast or famine until I get out of school, but until then I am going to be hitting up flea markets, garage/yard/estate sales, classified ads, and thrift stores looking for stuff to flip. I already have a storage unit chock full of stuff I have rounded up over the years to get me started. I came to this site to learn more about metal detecting now that my schedule is so flexible. Every piece I dig up out of the dirt or pick up at a sale has it's own unique history, so I am looking at my current employment status as an elective toward my History Degree.

Thanks for the heads up on the leotards. I never would have guessed.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the vinyl. Sadly, I am currently selling off a good portion of my vinyl collection. I am going full time ebay now and some of this stuff has to go. I gave up looking for an actual "real" job, as the industry I was formerly employed in (golf course) has crashed and burned since the "Great Recession" began in 2008.
I have about a year left until I get my History Degree w/Teaching Certificate,
I have just rented a 100 square foot space at my local antique mall and will be selling stuff on Flea-bay as well. I'm sure it will be feast or famine
I already have a storage unit chock full of stuff I have rounded up over the years to get me started. I came to this site to learn more about metal detecting now that my schedule is so flexible. Every piece I dig up out of the dirt or pick up at a sale has it's own unique history, so I am looking at my current employment status as an elective toward my History Degree.
Thanks for the heads up on the leotards. I never would have guessed.

Hey hombre, go check out the music section, I put up some spins, may or may not be your tastes.
In Ga., all the degrees you get under the belt, the more $$$$(cousin retired Ga board edu.).

You mean you don't know no badge brokers in Augusta? Dude, you need to pm me. Seriously.

Rent storage?, My house used to LOOK like a warehouse. I worked for a collectibles store, on the side, I would sell Harbour lights lighthouses, Gene Dolls, Harmony Kingdom, Swarvoski, Geuiseppe Armini?, I can't remember all, Used to hit auctions for material, Yeah, who'da thunk leotards, check it out online.
Keep grinding away, famine ain't no fun. Good luck with all.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Thanks for the well wishes. I will post a pic of my booth after I get it set up. I should have it up and running within the next two weeks. I have dumped more $$$ into it than I had originally planned already so I hope it pans out. Bought two display cases, but one needs to have a key cut so I have to call a locksmith. Have to clean up and replace some light bulbs as well.

I figure the antique mall space will double as storefront/storage. If something sits too long it is getting yanked out of the display case and put up for auction. Found an old piece of furniture today that might be worth sitting out over there. It has dovetail joints and a weird slab of marble built into the top. ???

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
pat-tekker-cat said:
Nice find hombre de plata! I'm still spinning vinyl on a 35 yrs old Morse Audiophile system, with a nice Sony turntable, and an 8-track(for what that is worth, the 8-track). I can barely even lift the speakers to move them. But, I've blown the mid-ranges, got two other sets of speakers plugged in. I've got a few old tube, console players and tv's.? They stored in another house.

The best thing and most unbeleivable thing I sold on e-bay, and made real good on, was the little girls dancing leotards. I'd buy 'em at garage sells, thrift stores, at .50 to $1.00, they'd sell for $20.00, $30.00, and light to ship. I put sets together, $100.00 for 3. New name brand ones, CK, only one comes to mind, can run $70.00, for .07 sents worth of fabric? I never got it, but I got it.
They have names for 50 yo men who buy used little girl leotards. The very last thing I'd want to do is raise questions among the neighbors. Mentioning "I heard they sell real well on eBay." probably wouldn't help much. Maybe adult-sized designer dresses. I have to leave some things to the ladies, no matter how profitable.

And Hombre, My main stereo is a Technics SA-300 pushing Bose 2001's, with a Denon turntable. The best speakers I ever actually owned were a pair of Advent Legacy, so I can see how some people with cash to spare can try to recapture their youth that way.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batcap, I sure didn't think of it that way, I so see what you're saying. I woulda never thunk that.
Being a girl cat, I slink on and out, pretty much, anywhere I want to. Guess I'm just blessed in my owns ways.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
They have names for 50 yo men who buy used little girl leotards. The very last thing I'd want to do is raise questions among the neighbors. Mentioning "I heard they sell real well on eBay." probably wouldn't help much. Maybe adult-sized designer dresses. I have to leave some things to the ladies, no matter how profitable.

Ever seen Top Secret?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJVEb-qljA

And Hombre, My main stereo is a Technics SA-300 pushing Bose 2001's, with a Denon turntable. The best speakers I ever actually owned were a pair of Advent Legacy, so I can see how some people with cash to spare can try to recapture their youth that way.

Here is a pic of my current set up. I got a lead on a pair of JBL L100 Century speakers today. I hope it pans out. Those are some great speakers.

Stereo-1.jpg

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

Ever seen Top Secret?

When I found that at the video store, years after it came out, I was outraged. Why didn't someone tell me about this before?!?When you saw Abrahams & Zucker, you knew it was gonna be good.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
batcap said:
When I found that at the video store, years after it came out, I was outraged. Why didn't someone tell me about this before?!?When you saw Abrahams & Zucker, you knew it was gonna be good.

I saw it on VHS as well. When I saw the cover with the cow wearing rubber boots I knew it was my kind of flick.

71N1RF1YWHL._SL500_AA280_.gif

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll hafta watch that movie now, that was great clip. But it may mean I gotta but a dvd vcr thingy? Or dig one outta my closet I never hooked up.
My stereo is big, I couldn't get in in one picture. It's old and cheesy, but been my best friend for over 30 years.
000_1314.jpg
Couldn't drag it with me all over the country.
000_1317.jpg
But the vinyl traveled well. I've left records from Key West to Denver, and everywhere in between.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
^ Your taste in music seems similar to my own. I partied on D.A.C.'s tour bus after he played a show at the now burnt down Georgia Theater in Athens back in the late 90's.

That turntable looks super sweet. I ran into a guy at my storage building today that used to work for the old Atlanta music chain Turtles. He has 50,000 records in storage I am going to go look through. He also has a bunch of music posters only distributed to record stores.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ Your taste in music seems similar to my own. I partied on D.A.C.'s tour bus after he played a show at the now burnt down Georgia Theater in Athens back in the late 90's.

That turntable looks super sweet. I ran into a guy at my storage building today that used to work for the old Atlanta music chain Turtles. He has 50,000 records in storage I am going to go look through. He also has a bunch of music posters only distributed to record stores.

Please don't tell me you know Bertha and Pop C.?! I told Pops, at the Silver Saddle, I just couldn't climb aboard that bus............................ for a 3rd, go around................... ;D (ssshhh, we'll talk private about those things....hehehehe)

Dude, you compliment my turn table, you may have adopted a cat, with loyalty, like a dog! LOL!
Plus, I'm gonna need to know where to get a new needle for this thing. Hook me up, bro!
I even turned her on for you. Can you feel your windows rattling? LOL! ;D

Attachments

• 000_1314.jpg
    000_1314.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 000_1332.jpg
    000_1332.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 486

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread