jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Decided to try my luck with my own table at a flea market this morning. Unfortunately, the weather was bad and the turnout was quite poor. So, at the beginning of the morning after I set up my table, I told my wife I was gonna take a walk around see if there was anything good I could cherrypick. Well, the selection was pretty sad but I stopped at 1 table with some jewelry and asked the lady if it was all costume. She tells me "mostly" so I say do you have any silver jewelry? She points down and says, there are a bunch of chains in that tin that might be silver. I look at the tin and it says 25 cents. I open the lid and see a mess of tangled silverish chains. I pay her the 25 cents, put the tin in the car and go back to my table to try to sell my stuff.
Later that day when I got home I opened the tin and untangled the chains (there are 3 of them). Right away I can see obvious rust on the 2 silver chains and sure enough they both stick to a magnet. BUT... the 3rd chain looked like it was gold and had a fancy clasp on it. Sure enough, the male end of the clasp hook was stamped 14K and IT PASSED THE MAGNET TEST! I weighed it in at 5.6 grams which is worth just over $150 in melt. Needless to say, I was shocked since I didnt even realize I was buying gold at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_2141gold1.jpg
    IMG_2141gold1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_2142gold2.jpg
    IMG_2142gold2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,074

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it when it turns out that way! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
brendan1414 said:
i would acid test just to make sure... alot of fakes out there too
Would a fake chain have such a heavy duty clasp on it and be marked on the inside part of the clasp?

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerseyben said:
brendan1414 said:
Would a fake chain have such a heavy duty clasp on it and be marked on the inside part of the clasp?
I dont care what it is...I personally have been screwed by jewelry being marked 18k ( white Gold) and then find out its stainless steel..

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
blai745 said:
jerseyben said:
brendan1414 said:
I dont care what it is...I personally have been screwed by jewelry being marked 18k ( white Gold) and then find out its stainless steel..

Wouldnt that stick to a magnet???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread