Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I have a question concerning silver marks. Yep, I am new and really green. I know silver coins, but have no clue when it comes to what I need to look for in terms of garage sale/flea market items. Any help would be very, very greatly appreciated. I don't know a darn thing between silver plated or sterling silver. If I happen to be so lucky to find any "silver looking" items, what should I look for? I do know to look for .925 on jewelry, but folks, that is about all she wrote. :icon_sunny:

My gratitude,
apush :read2:

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Try and read through the treads here in Garage Sale Section and you'll learn a ton.

Are you getting tired of Coin Roll Hunting? ;)

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Most silver you will find at garage sales will be stamped 925 or sterling. Plated stuff will have EP SP or ESP on it EP is elctro plate, SP is silver plate and ESP is elctroplated silver. All of these have very little silver content. Nickel silver is also very low in silver. However "coin silver is stuff that was made from melted silver coins. I would also bring a magnet with you as silver is not magnetic. Oh yeah don't forget to look for those silver forgien coins too. I recently picked up a 1948 and 1968 Canadian quarters out of a pile of random forgien coins. Good luck in your hunt and keep us posted :)

Ace Villa-v

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
if you see anyone of these markings on flatware or kitchen ware leave it alone.. IS , A1 ,QUAD PLATE ,MOST WM ROGERS THESE ARE ALL PLATED MARKS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread