Antique 1940s GE Refrigerator Restoration Project?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Antique 1940's GE Refrigerator Restoration Project?

Not exactly a yard or garage sale, but I have a lead on a vintage 1940's era GE Refrigerator. It is white w/one door and a icebox and two crisper trays. I'm not certain but I think it may be this particular model:

GE1.jpg

GE2.jpg

I will get some pics of the exact unit tomorrow.

I was told it worked when last used, but the outlet it is parked in front of is messed up. One bad thing is that it is resting upstairs in an old house with a narrow staircase.

If the price is right, I am considering purchasing it to restore.

In a strange coincidence, the first google result for "antique refrigerator restoration" is a shop that specializes in this kind of work the next county over - about 20 miles from my home. They have done antique stove and refrigerator restoration jobs for clients world wide.

http://www.antiqueappliances.com/index.htm

They are asking $3,200 for a similar restored GE unit from 1939.

If the price is manageable, I am considering getting a gloss black paint job with fresh chrome, leaving the inside white so it will look like an old Cadillac or a giant penguin.

Anyone ever dealt w/antique appliances? I think this thing would be a good sell, but finding the right buyer may be tricky.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Antique 1940's GE Refrigerator Restoration Project?

If your buying to sell as a collectiable YOU NEVER SCREW WITH THE COLOR OR ANY OTHER THING THAT WILL NOT MAKE IT ORIGINAL

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

creeper71 said:
If your buying to sell as a collectiable YOU NEVER SCREW WITH THE COLOR OR ANY OTHER THING THAT WILL NOT MAKE IT ORIGINAL

Gotcha. So, white then? LOL

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
creeper71 said:

Gotcha. So, white then? LOL
Do not repaint any color.... let it alone an work with what you have

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia

At least on newer refrigerators, if they sit unplugged for 6 or more months, some of the freon leaks out and you may need to have it recharged. So if they said it worked when they unplugged it and it doesn't now, that may be the reason.
(Puts you in a good bargaining position)
The explanation I was given:
On the new ones, when they aren't running, the pressure on the low side increases as it equalizes with the high side and the low side then leaks freon. While it was running the low side stayed low.

Randyd

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Restoring this thing may be more than I can handle as far as $$$ goes, but I don't think it's impossible. the main problems so far are:

Missing crisper trays (may be somewhere in the attic)
Missing drawer on the bottom (may also be somewhere in the attic)
Very dirty and has some rust
As the poster above stated - hasn't run in a loooong time

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

fridge3.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First take an extension cord with you. You can run the cord to a working outlet. Listen for any bad rattles from the compressor. If it rattles it probably has a bad mount. When working out the price make sure you grunt & shake your head at every little thing. Can't really tell from the pictures but if the bottom is rusted out not good. Don't be scared to poke at any rust to see if it's gone all the way through. When they give you a price, counter with about half & let them know you'll up your offer when they locate the other parts.

If you're going to sell it as vintage, clean the inside out then soak some towels with citric acid solution and let them sit on the rusty spots. Wipe the outside down with the same solution till the rust comes off. After you've gotten the rust off the outside, give it a good rubbing with some Scotts Liquid Gold. Scotts makes porcelin and paint pop. Touch the chrome up with some Simi Chrome polish. If you have problems finding a buyer or info PM me, I haven't got my sources list with me.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Thanks boogeyman. This project has been on the back burner but I'm still going to do something with it. Just been kinda busy as of late.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Thanks boogeyman. This project has been on the back burner but I'm still going to do something with it. Just been kinda busy as of late.
I understand completely! :D
Also, If you can transport it standing up do it. If you have to lay it on it's side, when you get the other end stand it up & let it sit for a few hours before plugging it in. Lets the oil drain back in to the compressor preventing it from trashing the compressor. (So I've been told from the "experts")

Let us know how it all comes out! Either way it sounds like a fun project (time permitting ;D).

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a fun project, If the compressor don't run, sometimes a hard blow from the edge of a 2x4
will free the valve and get her going.

a new compressor is not a biggie though if you got a friend that knows a/c. If you was in my area I would hook ya up, I got the torch, R-12, 134a, 22, whatever we need.

Looks like that needs a new door gasket, maybe get one here:

http://store.antiqueappliances.com/Door-Gaskets_c_8.html

zorki

Sep 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
refinishing

I have a slightly different issue: have a 1941-42 GE refrigerating machine, want to keep it and want to paint it deep red. The problem is with the letters - they are too small to mask and don't know how to remove them. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
use molding clay easy to put on and take off.
I have a slightly different issue: have a 1941-42 GE refrigerating machine, want to keep it and want to paint it deep red. The problem is with the letters - they are too small to mask and don't know how to remove them. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

zorki

Sep 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Billm1956, one last reservation is the color, hope I am not doing it a disservice by changing it to red.

dvdbr

Jul 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a refrigerator that look a lot like the one in the 1st pic and want to sell it but do not know what to post it for any one know what a good asking price is

next post will be pics need to upload it from my phone

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is perfectly okay to restore or refinish a vintage refrigerator and it would actually increase its resale value. People don't purchase old vintage refrigerators for their patina.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junk it! Why on Earth would you stick good money into this?
Toolman Butch
Restoring this thing may be more than I can handle as far as $$$ goes, but I don't think it's impossible. the main problems so far are:

Missing crisper trays (may be somewhere in the attic)
Missing drawer on the bottom (may also be somewhere in the attic)
Very dirty and has some rust
As the poster above stated - hasn't run in a loooong time

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

fridge3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread