Silver Flatware (looks old) - Update

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I was driving around with the family and we decided to stop at a garage sale. Was looking around and did not see much but as we were leaving I see a bag of flatware. I take a look and there are a few serving pieces but they are marked silver plate. Was just about to put it down when I spotted a set of tea spoons that looked rather old and not marked as plated. For $10 I decide to take a chance and now I trying to figure out how I did. Out of 15 pieces I think 8 are silver and the rest are plated silver.

My questions would be - For $10 how did I do? Are the silver pieces pure silver? Are they just scrap or worth more to a collector? (The tea spoons look rather old so I was thinking a higher collector value) How should I sell this stuff? Is the plated stuff worth anything?

This was a first for me so if I do well I will definitely try looking for more silver.

First a picture of what I think is silver (my favorites are the six tea spoons in the center):
P6040942.jpg

P6040948.jpg

They have a initial(s) on the handle but I can't make out the letter(s) - picture of that not too good. Also a picture of the hallmark which reads O.C.OSBORNE then what looks like a castle (?) and maple leaf (?) stamps. 5 3/4" long - all six weight 2.85 oz
P6040947.jpg

P6040950.jpg

P6040951.jpg

Here are the other two pieces from the first picture that I believe are silver:

1st 7 1/2" long weights .8 oz marked WM. A. ROGERS A1PLUS ONEIDA LTD.
P6040953.jpg

P6040954.jpg

P6040955.jpg

2nd 7" long 1.4 oz WM. ROGERS & SON I S (The I & S look like hallmark stamps)
P6040956.jpg

P6040957.jpg

P6040958.jpg

Here is all the silver plate stuff:
P6040959.jpg

Markings on the plated stuff - 1st two on the left are marked silver plated Italy. 3rd from left is marked ROYAL PLATE with a crown in front of the writing. 4th from the left is marked EXTRA SILVER PLATE. the 5th from the left is marked NEW ENGLAND SILVER PLATE A1. The 6th from the left is marked GAILSTYN SILVER PLATE. The small butter knife is also marked NEW ENGLAND SILVER PLATE (but no A1).

Thanks in advance for your help.
NJ

I sold just the tea spoons for a little under $90. Since I purchased the whole lot for $10 with the intent on selling them I think I did really good. I'm just glad they will not be melted down. They were too nice for that.

My suprise purchase was a group of old hockey programs I purchased for $2 and sold for $120. That was a nice profit. Now my wife is telling me to hit some garage sales this weekend...lol. I have not been to one since these last few purchases a few weeks ago.

Thanks for reading.
NJ

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Silver Flatware (looks old) - Need some advise

Nice bunch of plated silver spoons, you can look up american hall marks, I am sure you will find what you want to know.HH

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Brian C. said:
Nice bunch of plated silver spoons, you can look up american hall marks, I am sure you will find what you want to know.HH

Thanks...I'm not too interested in the plate stuff. I really like the silver tea spoons but could not find anything on a O.C.OSBORNE silversmith. I think the marks are for Edinburgh which would make it Scottish silver but still not sure. Still trying to figure it all out.

Nothing on internet about this silversmith...may have to make a trip to the library.

NJ

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Unless it was made in the early-mid 1800's there should be a "Sterling" mark somewhere. I learned this the hard way when I paid 20 bucks for a set of Reed and Barton spoons that were unmarked. I thought they were silver because they passed a scratch/acid test. Turns out they just had a thick plating. When I took a file to one and went deeper the acid I dropped on them didn't turn red - it "sizzled" and turned blue.

Bottom line - 99.9% of all Sterling flatware is marked as such.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Unless it was made in the early-mid 1800's there should be a "Sterling" mark somewhere. I learned this the hard way when I paid 20 bucks for a set of Reed and Barton spoons that were unmarked. I thought they were silver because they passed a scratch/acid test. Turns out they just had a thick plating. When I took a file to one and went deeper the acid I dropped on them didn't turn red - it "sizzled" and turned blue.

Thanks for the info...the tea spoons maybe that old...they have some good wear to the hallmarks. The picture I took of the hallmarks was the least worn of the six spoons.

NJ

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL

I'd bet some money those O.C.OSBORNE spoons are coin silver from the early/mid 1800s.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

they have that coin silver look to them. willy

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:

it might be marked sterling with the hallmark icons... I can't read them to tell

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In this case I would have to agree with hombre. I think this company did make very thick 20 micron silver plated tableware from what little info I read. You would have to make a deep cut and test it to be sure.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the comments everyone...any guesses on the monogram on the tea spoons?? I can't make out if it is one letter or two.

NJ

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

thrillathahunt said:
In this case I would have to agree with hombre. I think this company did make very thick 20 micron silver plated tableware from what little info I read. You would have to make a deep cut and test it to be sure.
I found a osborne sliversmith that did sterling an plated flatware, am not sure if it's same company... but I too think like another poster said the spoon in the middle of the pic one maybe be coin silver (spoons made from melted down silver coins) I have a spoon that looks exactlly like them in style that is marked Coin on the back....

AtochaFan

Dec 9, 2011
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The long iced tea spoon on the right with the two heart shaped leaves is Wm. Rogers Silver Plate - "Meadow Brook" pattern

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AtochaFan said:
The long iced tea spoon on the right with the two heart shaped leaves is Wm. Rogers Silver Plate - "Meadow Brook" pattern

Thanks

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O.C. Osborne = Orlando C Osborne, Baltimore, MD C. 1827. Silversmith.

creekratz

Aug 26, 2013
I DUG UP AN OLD SPOON THAT IS VERY ORNATE AND OLD LOOKING BUT ONLY HAS O.C. A1, I AM ALSO CONFUSED ON WHETHER IT IS STERLING OR NOT. I BELIEVE O.C. MAY BE ORANGE COUNTY? GOT ANY INPUT ANYONE? THE 7th PICTURE DOWN OF YOURS IS SILVERPLATE, 1936 MEADOWBROOK

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the board creekratz. Do you realize that typing in all caps is considered yelling? We appreciate your enthusiasm but please type normally. I think the OC has been found to be OC Osbourne. I'm not overly familiar with silverware yet but this site is just filled with so much information, so I'm sure someone will come along to help you worth your question. Happy Hunting

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
1st 7 1/2" long weights .8 oz marked WM. A. ROGERS A1PLUS ONEIDA LTD.

You have that above one of your photos (the long spoon), A1Plus is silver plate, just an FYI

Like others have replied, 99.9% of utensils will be marked sterling. As a base point for myself, if it says WM A Rogers or any other variation of the name I pass on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread