goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A week ago, I bought 4 barbers quarters, 1 standing liberty, 2 washingtons, 5 40% halves, and 13 roosevelts for $40 (melt $100). I had to leave a bunch more because I ran out of money. Today, I walk up to a lone house in my town of ~2,5000 and the girl running it said I was the fourth person looking for old coins, and it wasn't even noon! She even quoted me the prices the other guys were paying. I'm just gonna have to work harder at this...

HH
-GC

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
ive never found coins at a garage sale, so consider yourself lucky! ive also heard of people charging ungodly amounts for coins aswell since they are afraid of getting ripped off.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely find coins at garage sales either. When I do they are usually overpriced. I did happen upon a bunch of wheat rolls for $1 each last year. My best silver finds come in the form of jewelry or flatware usually.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Want to know why this is happening? Put an ad on craigslist saying that you have some old silver coins for sale. Dont mention a price. Within a couple hours you will feel like its a full time job answering calls and emails from people trying to make money flipping your coins.

Lots of smart folks out there without jobs trying to find a way to make something happen.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
goldencoin said:
A week ago, I bought 4 barbers quarters, 1 standing liberty, 2 washingtons, 5 40% halves, and 13 roosevelts for $40 (melt $100). I had to leave a bunch more because I ran out of money. Today, I walk up to a lone house in my town of ~2,5000 and the girl running it said I was the fourth person looking for old coins, and it wasn't even noon! She even quoted me the prices the other guys were paying. I'm just gonna have to work harder at this...

HH
-GC

No offense but if you got there at noon, did you really think the "cream of the crop" items like coins wouldn't have already been snatched up?

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was more like 11:00 by the time I got there (one of the last ones on the route), but that's not the point. I couldn't believe there were four people asking for coins in such a small town.

HH
-GC

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I live in a small town too and feel your pain GC. I hit a sale that opened at 8 got here at 7:50. and asked about said loot. Some guy had been there at 7:00 and cleaned them out >:( Looks like the early turd got the coins :tongue3:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
acevillav said:
I live in a small town too and feel your pain GC. I hit a sale that opened at 8 got here at 7:50. and asked about said loot. Some guy had been there at 7:00 and cleaned them out >:( Looks like the early turd got the coins :tongue3:

What REALLY blows my mind is this... If someone showed up to your sale EARLY and asked you about a SPECIFIC item, wouldn't that tip you off that maybe the item is valuable and maybe you should do some research before selling to a stranger that showed up at your house?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldencoin said:
said I was the fourth person looking for old coins, and it wasn't even noon! She even quoted me the prices the other guys were paying.
Been there - heard that before, all the time.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brendan1414 said:
ive never found coins at a garage sale, so consider yourself lucky!
You just have to ask & ask & ask.
Many times an instant NO turns into a few questions and then they say wait a minute and come back out of the house with a small box.

I am sure I have bought over $500 face in silver. (and 400 year old ship wreck coins too)

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
cyberdan said:
brendan1414 said:
I've never found coins at a garage sale, so consider yourself lucky!
You just have to ask & ask & ask.
Many times an instant NO turns into a few questions and then they say wait a minute and come back out of the house with a small box.

I am sure I have bought over $500 face in silver. (and 400 year old ship wreck coins too)
I've found that asking later in the day is particularly effective. I think seller loosen up once they get some cash flowing into their
hands and are more willing to part with coins they may have been reluctant to sell earlier.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that to get precious metals, ie: coins and jewelry, you have to be there early.,anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour before the listed time. Sometimes the owners say no early birds I just respond with I'm sorry, I was on my way to work and was hoping I could take a quick look, it usually works.I usually ask for tools first, then blue jeans for work, then casually say costume jewelry for my wife, I forgot her Birthday.Ha Ha! I live in a town of 60,000 and believe me there are at least a dozen flea market, antique, e-bay dealers scouring the yard sales. Good luck and Happy hunting!.........Scott.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions