Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learning "Ebay"

Hi All,
Just want to say that I have caught the "bug" and have started (good or bad) down the ebay road. I have sold a whopping $50.00 since last week (all profit), but I did turn around and buy some silver just above spot with the profits.

It is fun, learned a few lessons and have many more to go. Enjoy reading everyone's posts. Love garage sales and thrift stores.

HGH,
apush :read2: (the newbie)

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Learning "Ebay"

apush said:
Hi All,
Just want to say that I have caught the "bug" and have started (good or bad) down the ebay road. I have sold a whopping $50.00 since last week (all profit), but I did turn around and buy some silver just above spot with the profits.

It is fun, learned a few lessons and have many more to go. Enjoy reading everyone's posts. Love garage sales and thrift stores.

HGH,
make sure you keep 12% of your total sales in your paypal account to cover all ebay charges

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
apush said:
Hi All,

HGH,
make sure you keep 12% of your total sales in your paypal account to cover all ebay charges

Yes, and not to be cynical but be prepared to start calling it feebay with the rest of us. Still, the profit potential is there but you may have to take a few knocks before finding your groove. Good luck!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you ever need help don't go to the feebay forums, they are a bunch of smartazz's, come here and ask us. :thumbsup: goodluck.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you haven't already, buy a scale and a label printer and have the post office come to you to pick up your items. Time is money.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

The best advice I can give to to ship stuff that you sell AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

I'll never understand the procrastinators that wait a week to ship an item, and then wonder why people leave lower FB ratings.

I ship every day, except Sunday. I will break my neck getting parcels out the very day that they are paid for, and I get rave reviews for my fast shipping.

One other bit of advice...learn the shipping methods. Learn what can go first class, which is anything that is under 13 ounces. I just bought a switch that could have gone FC for $2, but the seller is shipping Priority flat rate for $5. The seller could have done the buyer a favor, and saved me some money...I am sure the bid price would have gone higher if they would have not been so lazy. The bottom line is to do what is best for the customer when shipping, and it will pay off in spades.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bazinga said:
If you haven't already, buy a scale and a label printer and have the post office come to you to pick up your items. Time is money.

Bazinga...suggestions/reccomendations for scales and label printers?

GT

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SCdigger said:
bazinga said:

Bazinga...suggestions/reccomendations for scales and label printers?

GT

Scales:

I've always purchased the ones that I think are good to up to 75 lbs. They aren't very big and can be had for $15-25 shipped (well, the last time I bought one 5 years ago that's how much they cost). But just this week I did upgrade to a heavy duty scale that can hold up to 400 lbs and has a detached face so I can see the weight when huge boxes are on it. These can be had for $40-80 shipped and on up from there. But, for most sellers, the $20 scale will be all you need.

Label Printers:

Many people often buy those Zebra LP2844 and the other similar models for $50-100. They are generally very well used at that price and sometimes the print quality is lacking. I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you get it for under $50. For the past two years I have been using a Zebra ZP 450 and really love it. I ship about 4,000-5,000 packages a year and it has been working like a champ. I do keep an old LP2844, though, as a backup. The great thing about these is that there is no need to ever pay for ink. It's built into the label. And since I have a high volume, I get free labels from FedEx as well as a nice discount. Even if they weren't free, I would still pay for them. The time saved pealing and sticking is so much greater than taping them onto boxes are using the clear pouches. Time is money. :)

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did buy a scale today--a cheepie, but this is a first. Thanks for the advice, all. It is sorely needed. :tongue3:

I have a full time job that takes 70-80 hours of my life per week, so this is my side thing--so to speak. AKA: My Sanity. I am an assistant principal at a high school, so you can guess the rest--but I do love kids.
:icon_sunny:

Hitting those sales early in the morning. I live in a small town (pop less than 10,000) and we have these little ol' ladies that "work" estate sales for the owner. They are so high in their prices until the very last day. And, they are grouchy, too. :laughing9:

apush :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread