deleted

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Past couple of weeks of silver and a tad of gold - also a couple of questions

I can't answer your questions, but it was already disscussed a few weeks ago that TAXCO sell for good money on Ebay

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Past couple of weeks of silver and a tad of gold - also a couple of questions

IMHO, if the 2 John McDonald rings "stack" on each other, sell them together, as that's how people would want to wear them.
My seat of the pants guess is that the shorter necklace is dyed blue. Not appealing to me, anyway.
The longer one, I haven't a clue, but it is ethnic-ey, and interesting, and would appeal to many, I should think, even without revealing what stone.
Just one girl's opinion....

Very interesting variety of finds!!!
Tigger

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello,
I think you made some great finds for great prices!! James Adams Dwight may be the maker of the stack rings--he was a silversmith and watchmaker???? hard to tell from pictures if they are that old, but some great websites out there that can help research the makers marks. Some of the Taxco stuff that sells real good on ebay is due to the makers of it not just because it's Taxco....I belive anyway. Do your research on the makers before you "scrap" your jewelry. Also, the old Norway pins bring in more (usually) than the scrap value. The turquoise necklace looks new?? again, hard to tell. Good luck!

USMC

Jun 23, 2005
east river South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I like the Alaska "Gold Pan" spoon! Great scores on all your items!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

2Minnesota said:
Hello,
I think you made some great finds for great prices!! James Adams Dwight may be the maker of the stack rings--he was a silversmith and watchmaker???? hard to tell from pictures if they are that old, but some great websites out there that can help research the makers marks. Some of the Taxco stuff that sells real good on ebay is due to the makers of it not just because it's Taxco....I belive anyway. Do your research on the makers before you "scrap" your jewelry. Also, the old Norway pins bring in more (usually) than the scrap value. The turquoise necklace looks new?? again, hard to tell. Good luck!
I'm pretty sure the disscussion was that anything sells for decent money from Taxco not just cause of a maker...

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

"long weird necklace not marked but tested as sterling and have small yellowish/greenish stone beads that looks like it would glow in the dark. any clue to what the beads are made of and what region it may be from?"

I am pretty sure they are bone an glass beads, but you would need better pics... I also am fairly sure it is a native american made necklace.... what I don't know is how old it may be...

mams5960

Greenie
Jun 17, 2011

The David Anderson silver can sell for quite a bit.

OP
OP
redfish76

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida

Thank you all for your replies :icon_thumleft: you guys rock!!!! :headbang:
I'm still looking for a good way to list that last necklace :dontknow: I have no clue on how to list it on feebay so I guess the research cont. :read2:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

redfish76 said:
Thank you all for your replies :icon_thumleft: you guys rock!!!! :headbang:
I'm still looking for a good way to list that last necklace :dontknow: I have no clue on how to list it on feebay so I guess the research cont. :read2:

Could you share how you test silver?

Bill

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

I don't know how the OP tests silver. I know CyberDan has a way figured out to use his electronic gold tester for sterling. I've always used an acid mix I get from the same people I got my gold tester from. I don't know the chemical composition, but it's a yellowish brown solution that turns bright red when in contact with silver. You have to be careful that you aren't getting a false reading from silver plate & must remember that over time the solution goes bad. Other than that it's fairly simple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread