billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is Friday' gold and silver finds, plus a little more found Saturday morning....EARLY Saturday morning.... ;>)
During the morning, on Friday, I thought I was going to need a jumper cables and pair of those "De-Fib Paddles"...... At three different garage sales/estate sales, I found 145 grams of sterling jewelry, a Vintage pair of "Actual Ear Screws" with pearls and stamped 14kt, and 5.5 grams in an 18kt gold thin necklace.... Spent $33....

Hanging on a wall mounted piece of foam-board, there were necklaces and various bracelets with string tags on each. To the side were thin necklaces with a single tag pinned to the board that said: "All jewelry is marked. If it isn't, it's 25-cents."

That's where I found the gold necklace stamped ".750" and a black tarnished necklace stamped ".925". I paid a quarter each.
The Pearl "Ear Screws" were stamped "14kt" and still in a thin jewelry store box they marked $1.00.... In addition, on kitchen counter box, I found a 10kt gold filled "Lady Elgin" watch, a cigarette lighter and a small .925 bracelet. Holding up everything, I asked the lady how much. She said, "I'll take $2.50 for everything." The gold is on the right side of the picture.

At an up-scale estate sale, in baggies of jewelry, I found the large sterling earrings, a broken set of .925 Southwestern earrings, and the silver Cross necklace for $10.00

At what was listed as a "Barn Sale", at first things were rather disappointing as it was near 10:30, by then. I asked the lady if she had any jewelry. She said, "Yes, but we didn't put it out. My husband said he thought we should just let the grandkids play with it."
Then a retired high school custodian I knew walked up and said hello. He was there paying out his wife's finds and the short story is he introduced me to the garage sale owner. As the owner-husband also walked up and heard I was looking for jewelry and said, "We've got three daughters, I've been thinking if I could keep out the 'Dirt Dobbers', we'd just keep it. There's a lot of it to look through." So, he and his wife went behind some 8' tall shelving, did some rattling, and his wife came back out pointing to the place where her husband and the jewelry were.... My wife had gone to the car, but having the keys, she stayed cool while I spent another 25 minutes untangling a 2'x 3'- 8" deep plastic tub.... To the left of the big earrings, and below, is what I found for $20.00

All three garage sales' Sterling metal is weighed, but the Turquoise .925 bracelet wasn't counted. It may be worth more sold intact.
Silver is worth about $1.00 a gram

Here's the 18kt gold necklace. Having my pocket magnifying glass, I could see the 14kt marking on the "Ear Screws".
Most likely the owners didn't know what the .750, nor what .925 meant.
It's worth about $200.00.

The heavy cigarette lighter that came in with the $2.50 jewelry is by a maker in Paris, France
This brand name of "St. DuPont" lighters has pricing all over the place on Ebay. This one shows listings between $35-$85.

I got up at 5:15 this morning for a 6:00 A.M. garage sale about 5 miles from home.
I bought two Sterling necklaces for $2.00 each.
This one is marked "CZ .925" and will have to be sold intact.
Found a third necklace at a "$1.00 Yard Sale" near the Middle School where I worked.

Most likely, discounting the weight of the CZ stones, there's another 40 grams of Sterling. found this morning.
Paid a total of $5.00.

For under $40.00 spent this weekend, the scrap prices for the silver and gold should bring just over $400.00.... If you are out there early and are not only polite, but say "Thank You", you can still find precious metals.

Bill

Attachments

• P1020365 (Medium).JPG
    P1020365 (Medium).JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 887
  • P1020369 (Small).JPG
    P1020369 (Small).JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 879
  • P1020370 (Small).JPG
    P1020370 (Small).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 871
  • P1020371 (Small).JPG
    P1020371 (Small).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 864
  • P1020372 (Small).JPG
    P1020372 (Small).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 883
  • P1020373 (Small).JPG
    P1020373 (Small).JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 867
  • P1020378 (Small).JPG
    P1020378 (Small).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 872
  • P1020377 (Small).JPG
    P1020377 (Small).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 875
  • P1020382 (Small).JPG
    P1020382 (Small).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 860

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it was definitly a good weekend of garage sales for you! And I think the silver cz necklace is very pretty and worth selling as a single item and not for scrap...same for the stone bracelet. Good luck!

craig101

May 8, 2006
hey bill,

does that lighter "ping" when you open it? when you flip the lighter open, it should make a sound like a "ping".

nice finds.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
craig101 said:
hey bill,

does that lighter "ping" when you open it? when you flip the lighter open, it should make a sound like a "ping".

nice finds.

I didn't pay any attention until you asked. When you use your thumb to "flick" it open, there is a "Dink" or "Ping" sound. It's rather high pitch, but consistent everytime you open it.

Is that a sound unique to this brand or a bad thing?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billjustbill said:
craig101 said:
hey bill,

nice finds.

I didn't pay any attention until you asked. When you use your thumb to "flick" it open, there is a "Dink" or "Ping" sound. It's rather high pitch, but consistent everytime you open it.

Is that a sound unique to this brand or a bad thing?
Yes and no in that order.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The largest necklace in the first picture looks slightly "off" to me. What's the clasp look like? Everything else looks good & you got some great prices.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdhrdr007 said:
The largest necklace in the first picture looks slightly "off" to me. What's the clasp look like? Everything else looks good & you got some great prices.

The latch is one that goes through a square hole on one end and snaps closed. It has .925 stamped on the back side of the latch.

Also, I sold the DuPont lighter for $45.... good for the buyer and good for me, since it and a .925 necklace, 14kt Pearl earrings and the 18kt necklace cost me just $2.50... Love those good days and good finds at garage sales!

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread