Been looking for a long time, finally found a face jug plus another!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been searching for a face jug for a couple years and haven't ever found a single one. Now I found 2 in the past month. The first is a small face jug made by Vicki Miller of Ram Pottery Creston N.C. Paid $1.00 at a yardsale.

100_4529.jpg 100_4532.jpg

The second one looks like a monkey face. It's marked on the underside, Dewey with a 3 under the name, but it's hard to read because of the price that's been marked on there. I can't find any info. on this one. Looks pretty cool though. I like it better than the other one. Paid $1.99 at the thrift store.

100_4485.jpg
100_4484.jpg

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
cool looking jugs ;D what would you say the value would be for jugs like that? I have seen some like that in a thrift shop once and didn't pick them up...

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool face jugs. History Detectives has an episode on a specific face jug, would be great if yours had some history behind it.

mams5960

Greenie
Jun 17, 2011
if the price on the second face jug is written on it with a sharpie marker you can remove it with rubbing alcohol. cool jugs too.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I have no idea what they are worth but I had to have them, as ugly as they are. :laughing7: They are voth pretty small so i'm sure they aren't worth as much as the larger ones. I can;t find anything on the "monkey" jug. Thanks for the tip on removing the sharpie mams5960.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
Thanks for the replies. I have no idea what they are worth but I had to have them, as ugly as they are. :laughing7: They are voth pretty small so i'm sure they aren't worth as much as the larger ones. I can;t find anything on the "monkey" jug. Thanks for the tip on removing the sharpie mams5960.
I hope you knew I was joking in my last post, also are you sure it is a monkey?? to me since it probly is as old as I think it is..it is more then likely it is suppose to be a black person. I'm not racist but most of the time with things with that kinda age an the way the lips are it was suppose to be a black person.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
I hope you knew I was joking in my last post, also are you sure it is a monkey?? to me since it probly is as old as I think it is..it is more then likely it is suppose to be a black person. I'm not racist but most of the time with things with that kinda age an the way the lips are it was suppose to be a black person.
The thought never crossed my mind that you weren't joking around, it's all good. You know it could be a derogatory depiction of an African American face now that I look at it a little more. I can't find any info on the "Dewey" mark, signed (incised) in script on the bottom. I can't find any that are similar in compostion or style neither. It could just be an amateur/hobbyist made piece I guess. Regardless, i'm keeping it. :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I was trying to find something on Dewey also..found nothing. We all know how ignorant people was against African Americans back in the 1800's early 1900's (that is around about what dating I think they are) so more then likely that is what it is.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
creeper71 said:
I was trying to find something on Dewey also..found nothing. We all know how --deleted-- people was against African Americans back in the 1800's early 1900's (that is around about what dating I think they are) so more then likely that is what it is.
I can't believe the word IG NOR ANT was censored

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
Great find! I found a larger one signed miller 05 I believe. Found itnfor 10 bucks a few years ago. One of my favorite pieces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread