Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. This is a shipping issue. When I go to calculate shipping via the USPS, I can only go by full ounces--not fraction of ounces. So, if I have an item the weighs 1.2 oz, then, I am having to go to 2 oz. Is that the same for everyone else?

Garage sales have been nill to nada--probably cause of the excessive heat we have had here in East Texas: 106 by 5:00. Most of my good sales have been childrens clothing (girls).

apush :read2:

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always round up to the next pound or ounce. I made so many mistakes when I first started selling on eBay, and one of them was not charging enough for shipping.
Still having a few garage sales up here in Oklahoma, but they have slowed down significantly because of the heat! The weather man said projected 90 day outlook for northern Okla. was above average temps and little rain. I hate to say it, but we need some hurricanes to bust this high pressure out of here.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USPS does not go by fractions of an ounce. They always round up. You must do the same when listing items using the shipping calculator. Also take into consideration the box and any and all packing materials used to ship the item. I'll add a couple ounces or more sometimes just because of the new feebay shipping charges. When you go to print a shipping label, lower the shipping weight to what it actually is, to save you a few cents or what have you. A little extra for shipping doesn't hurt anyone and it saves you from taking it out of your profits. Don't forget it takes time to pack and ship items, time is money.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
apush said:
Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. This is a shipping issue. When I go to calculate shipping via the USPS...

I used to sell coins on eBay. I always used the small USPS flat-rate priority mail box (~$5) with delivery confirmation & insurance. I would recommend flat-rate shipping if possible. My coin(s) were bubble packed with invoice. In almost 6 years of sales, only one shipment was "lost" and after USPS investigation, it was determined that one of their guys was stealing mail. I almost always got 5 stars. (You just can't please everybody!)

Then eBay & paypal started taking more & more of my profits. I dropped them both like a hot rock and never looked-back!

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I always go extra on the weight. Call it handling fees or whatever, but the gas isn't free and I use a lot of it going to and from sales and post office.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Many of us here in rural AZ use a private post office service. The owner tells everyone that sells to bring the items in and she will tell you EXACTLY what it will cost. Makes life easy. Even she has an E-Bay store.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
The Post Office in my town has a self service unit with a digital scale out in the lobby. My scale at home is small and only goes up to 5 pounds, so I use it for the larger items I have. Nice, because the lobby is open 24/7, so I can use it whenever I am close by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions